What's new

Instant messaging apps between Windows & iOS

Try Google Hangouts. While I also have WhatsApp and LINE, I can sign into multiple devices on the same account with Google Hangouts instead of creating separate accounts for different devices. Performance is probably not as instantaneous as WhatsApp and LINE, but we're still talking milliseconds and faster than SMS.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Is there a Google Hangouts app for Windows?

Just thought I'll tell you about a work around I've found! It works much, much better... not perfect, but good enough. It's quite simple really, I have Skype open on my iPhone at the same time as my Surface. The Surface is terrible at receiving messages, however the iPhone is pretty much spot on. When the iPhone receives the messages they're synced to my Surface almost instantly. Sometimes they still take a couple of minutes to show up on the Surface, but, I can still read them popping up as notifications on my iPhone, and then just reply from my Surface :) hope that makes sense!

Not an app, but it's a extension for Chrome and launches as it's own. Only downside is that it shows up only in desktop mode.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Thanks. For my setup I'm currently looking only for Window Store apps... hopefully Google will get their finger out and release some proper apps soon, though maybe not: Android
sorry.png

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I speak to my girlfriend from my Surface to her iPad a few times per week...
Just thought I'll tell you about a work around I've found! It works much, much better... not perfect, but good enough...
... Skype ...

Oh. I thought you were going to say that your solution was to just move in with your girlfriend. Straightforward solution. ;)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why are there so many different clients ands services and none of them really work together. oh sure they chirp about interoperability or supporting ALL the major formats in one client but in the end its lip service. Its the same reasons there are hundred versions of Linux. The big players want it all to themselves and actively subvert interoperability while denying it. The little guys are constantly chasing the changes. its all about control, controlling you as an asset.

The old game of win win cooperation we all played in school or some seminar somewhere was always "won" by the first to screw the other guys. That's the real lesson... in "win win" everyone is equal and there's not a winner. In life there are winners and everyone else. Someone is always going to break the contract to gain the upper hand, they just can't resist.

Try BB Messenger... I think they are on all platforms now... I guess it won't be long before someone trips them again. :)