What's new

Intel Acknowledges ME Flaws, Announces Fixes

wpcoe

See: Intel Acknowledges ME Flaws, Announces Fixes

I downloaded the .zip file for checking Windows computers, and for my Surface Pro (2017) with i7-7660U CPU it reports:
Based on the analysis performed by this tool: This system is vulnerable.

Explanation:
The detected version of the Intel(R) Management Engine firmware is considered vulnerable for INTEL-SA-00086. Contact your system manufacturer for support and remediation of this system.

Can somebody advise where on Microsoft's site we could find (wishful thinking) or request (more likely) a fix?

qqq

I also used the Intel detection tool for my Surface Pro m3 and also received the same message. I tried to log into my MS account to ask about how soon we can expect updates, but my account is "suspended" (I haven't even used it yet) until I provide my phone number, which I REFUSE TO DO. I'm so angry I will probably return this Surface, although I really like it otherwise. My sense (and I don't know much, just from reading stuff online) is that the ME can be so integrated into various systems in the pc that there may be no way to completely block remote access. If MS doesn't address this soon, this computer goes back to BestBuy.

OP
W

wpcoe

I signed in with my Hotmail account and found this forum topic:
teezeh started on November 22, 2017

Discussion
Surface Pro and Intel ME security issues
Intel has issued a number of important security warnings that affect Surface hardware, too.

Does anybody know when Microsoft will release firmware updates to fix this? Intels corresponding support page only lists Dell and Lenovo so far.

The unfortunate, but not surprising, reply:
Barb Bowman replied on November 23, 2017
MVP

Nope. I asked. Couldn't get any information on timing.

>Does anybody know when Microsoft will release firmware updates to fix this? Intels corresponding support page only lists Dell and Lenovo so far

Barb
My Blog - Barbs Connected World - tomorrow's connected future is here today
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

OP
W

wpcoe

Any updates?

I updated the "Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool" to v.1.1.69.0 and it still reports "This system is vulnerable":

risk-assessment.gif

Both the older (v.1.1.028) version that I ran on 01-Dec-2017 and this current version report that the Intel Management Engine (IME) version on my SP2017 is v. 11.6.20.1221 -- so no updates whatsoever? -- even though Windows Update reports multiple SP2017 Firmware updates:

surface-firmware-updates.gif

The microsoft.com thread has been locked, so don't know where else to look.

[updated to show screenshots]

Last edited: