Intel core M vs i3 SP3

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' started by TheMovieHero, Oct 6, 2015.

1. TheMovieHero

TheMovieHero New Member

The base model of SP4 has an intel core M. Any ideas on the performance of those, vs the i3 SP3? Isn't Intel Core M much lower performance?

2. bluegrass

bluegrass Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I guess you didn't watch the live event this morning. Microsoft says the Surface Pro 4 is thirty percent faster than the Surface Pro 3.

3. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

Haven't seen anything on this yet... but I wouldn't think it's much lower if any... even though they used the lowest end Core m3. last year Anandtech had an article about how a base model Broadwell Core-M outperformed higher model Core-Ms. It's all about the rest of the system design and how it's tuned for power management so we wont really know until it's in someone's hands and gets tested.

4. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Yes, BUT, he didn't say across the board or what models he was comparing.

TheMovieHero likes this.
  5. TheMovieHero

TheMovieHero New Member

I read the press release, I was not able to watch it, but that could be the i7 Model, it may not be true for all. I felt like it was a valid question.

6. IlbeRevolution

IlbeRevolution New Member

If the numbers from 5th Gen CPU benchmarks translate to the 6th Gen Skylake M/U SKUs, you can expect about 3 quarters of the performance from the core-M variations when compared to ULV variants.

In terms of single thread performance, there's really no noticable difference.

As for graphics, take a look at this comparison between the iHDG 515 used in core M VS the 520 in core I (Intel Skylake Graphics Performance Shows Up - Iris Graphics 540, HD Graphcis 520, HD Graphics 515 Featured on Skylake-Y and Skylake-U CPUs). Pretty damn impressive for having 1/3 the TDP.

On the bright side, you'll probably get +33% battery life (assuming the internal battery size is the same) between the two.

Intel Core M-5Y10 vs. Intel Core i3-5010U - Benchmark & CPU Comparison - compare CPU at cpu-monkey

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015