What's new

Intel slowdown

jtrox02

I have a SB1.. I ran the intel checker.. it says im vulnerable.. I tried to DL the patches manually but each patch says its not applicable to my system.. I uninstalled every AV except the windows defender. .I checked my registry and the key is properly set.. dunno why I cant get the patch

It is my understanding it is part of Windows Update with KB4056892. However if you didn't get it yet, it is temporarily pulled because there was some issue with AMD chips, so it probably won't be sent out again until that is fixed.

Bonj87

I checked my registry the proper key is set.. im using windows defender, and MS says that doesn't block the update.. I find the update, I try to download it, but it says its not applicable to my system. weird. I did download the jan 10 firmware updates. vulnerability checker still says im vulnerable. I AM running windows insider builds.so my OS build shows a higher number.. wonder if that's why its not applicable.

OP
G

gman713

So I noticed there was a system update to the Surface Book 2 - I'm assuming that was the final patch for our systems. My machine took a pretty serious hit to performance. January 4th, Geekbench 4 had my single core performance at 4553 and today it's showing 4328. Multi core performance dropped a lot - it went from 12516 on January 4th to 11,721. I just ran that plugged in and at "Best Performance." That really sucks.

I was checking out some other systems in the Geekbench browser and noticed last year's 15" MacBook Pro was getting something over 5,000 single and 16,000 multi core. I thought this system was supposed to be more powerful than the older MacBook Pros?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any chance that a more optimized fix will come some time in the future or is this it?
There will most certainly be more to come. A. This probably isn't a complete fix to begin with but it also has reported bugs of it's own. B. Better optimization will no doubt be following in the months to come.

wynand32

ALL performance data posted is for the i5 SP3.

So, I think we know now why the SP3 showed the kind of performance decreases noted in the post above. Microsoft has stated that systems based on Haswell and earlier CPUs will show more significant performance decreases. Systems based on Skylake and later will show much less significant performance decreases.

My SB2 finally received the firmware date, and it received the Windows 10 update very early and so is fully patched. I ran my usual suite of benchmarks and only saw a small (possibly incidental) decrease in Geekbench 4 single-core (with an increase, again probably incidental, in the multi-core results). I can't tell a performance difference in actual use.

wynand32

Well I am or was on the Insiders Release Preview (but they changed the name and I'm not sure what I'm on now) but I got the OS patch a lot later than people not on the Insiders. I saw a post here that said it was out so I just did Windows Update to check and sure enough I got it.

I believe Microsoft has been testing the OS patch in Windows Insider builds since November. At least, that's what I read somewhere. So it's possibel you've already been using your Insider machines with the patch installed and didn't know it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, I think we know now why the SP3 showed the kind of performance decreases noted in the post above. Microsoft has stated that systems based on Haswell and earlier CPUs will show more significant performance decreases. Systems based on Skylake and later will show much less significant performance decreases.

My SB2 finally received the firmware date, and it received the Windows 10 update very early and so is fully patched. I ran my usual suite of benchmarks and only saw a small (possibly incidental) decrease in Geekbench 4 single-core (with an increase, again probably incidental, in the multi-core results). I can't tell a performance difference in actual use.
A couple articles popped up over this ... Geekbench wont show much as it's too CPU focused, got to context switch and access memory to see something. They mentioned Disk as being something taking a hit although I guess it depends on the benchmark too. As we saw, Passmark disk test seemed to love it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe Microsoft has been testing the OS patch in Windows Insider builds since November. At least, that's what I read somewhere. So it's possibel you've already been using your Insider machines with the patch installed and didn't know it.
My SP3 is was on "Release Preview" which used to result in I'd get the update a few days ahead of general availability. I suspect in this case, since the OS patch was released early I got it at the same time as everyone not on insiders while the Firmware I may have gotten a few days before everyone else. I have other systems on different insider levels and not on insiders but both of my Surfaces are on the same plan.

wynand32

A couple articles popped up over this ... Geekbench wont show much as it's too CPU focused, got to context switch and access memory to see something. They mentioned Disk as being something taking a hit although I guess it depends on the benchmark too. As we saw, Passmark disk test seemed to love it.

Yes, we've seen Passmark on the SP3 only though, right? And that's Haswell, and so we would expect to see a significant decrease there. I'd love to see pre- and post-firmware tests on a Skylake-based Surface, which according to Microsoft would show a less significant change.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, we've seen Passmark on the SP3 only though, right? And that's Haswell, and so we would expect to see a significant decrease there. I'd love to see pre- and post-firmware tests on a Skylake-based Surface, which according to Microsoft would show a less significant change.
Yeah unfortunately we don't get the participation level of old, and even Weddit doesn't get much coverage, IMO the community enthusiasm has waned and so we have little info to go on.

Google said "Our brilliant Spectre fix dodges performance hit, so you should all use it" everyone should jump onto the Google Retpoline and bound off the planet into the wild silicon yonder.