What's new

Interminent Freezing

anthonymoriel

Currently using i7-4650U model of SP3 and have ongoing issue with unit freezing intermittently throughout the day. Does not generally require a reboot, simply waiting 5 seconds or so and the PC responds normally. There is not a specific program that seems to cause the issue.

I check for updates at least once a week, so the station is generally kept updated. The unit is primarily docked throughout the day. This is a work computer and am operating for a government agency. Our IT department has not been able to correct the problem, so I wonder if other users have also had this issue.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know if the agency is using any enterprise management suites such as System Center Config Manager? I've seen freezes like the one you describe when there were High Disk Writes happening (another possibility is the SWAP File access).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a similar issue under different circumstances ... I checked the event log and noticed wireless driver crash events. went into device manager and uninstalled the wireless adapter driver, it reinstalled and haven't had any issues since.

OP
A

anthonymoriel

Do you know if the agency is using any enterprise management suites such as System Center Config Manager? I've seen freezes like the one you describe when there were High Disk Writes happening (another possibility is the SWAP File access).

Not sure. I will initiate a ticket with IT and determine if so. In case we are, is there a solution you would suggest? Thanks for your help here.

OP
A

anthonymoriel

I had a similar issue under different circumstances ... I checked the event log and noticed wireless driver crash events. went into device manager and uninstalled the wireless adapter driver, it reinstalled and haven't had any issues since.

I will keep an eye on my error log to see if I can get additional information.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure. I will initiate a ticket with IT and determine if so. In case we are, is there a solution you would suggest? Thanks for your help here.
I would look at your Task Manager with show more details enabled and look for the service or app that is writing to disk.... once determined remediate the app either with uninstall or update. Also it could also be the indexing service....there are situations where PDF files can cause the search indexer to stall....