What's new

Internet connection slower on Surface Pro 4

xl3ruise

Hii everyone,

I´ve a question about my internet connection on my new Surface Pro 4 i5 4GB RAM.

The internet connection on this device is slower than on my other pc when I run a speedtest.
On my normal pc the internet speed is 26-30 mb and on my surface it is 5-6 mb.

I saw a post at this forum to this link:
Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book having slow Wi-Fi: How to fix

And it worked a bit, because before I used that trick it was 1,5-2 mb. But is it possible to get my 26-30 mb back on surface? Anyone knows how?

Kind regards,

Harm

P.S I'm Dutch so my English is not very good.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your English is really good! Anyhow, try this - Change the settings on your Surface Pro's WiFi Network Adapter to 5 GHz only. Once done, even though you don't have too, reboot your SP4. Then reconnect to your network and do a Speed Test. Keep in mind there are many variables when using Speed Test Software. Make sure you use a speed test that will allow you to specify which region you are currently in. One that I use is - Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test .

If you need assistance on setting your Network Adapter to 5 GHz - see the attached picture - If you change it and cannot connect, don't panic, just change it back to the original settings which in most cases is "Auto". I have found that setting my Network Adapter to 5 GHz has cleared up many issues, mainly speed. Hope this helps you out. If so - let us know. Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 2,660

MickeyLittle

Your English is really good! Anyhow, try this - Change the settings on your Surface Pro's WiFi Network Adapter to 5 GHz only. Once done, even though you don't have too, reboot your SP4. Then reconnect to your network and do a Speed Test. Keep in mind there are many variables when using Speed Test Software. Make sure you use a speed test that will allow you to specify which region you are currently in. One that I use is - Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test .

If you need assistance on setting your Network Adapter to 5 GHz - see the attached picture - If you change it and cannot connect, don't panic, just change it back to the original settings which in most cases is "Auto". I have found that setting my Network Adapter to 5 GHz has cleared up many issues, mainly speed. Hope this helps you out. If so - let us know. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip on setting it to 5 GHz. I do have a question though. When I travel will it connect to Wi-Fi bands that are only 2.4 GHz or will I need to change the setting back to auto?

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the tip on setting it to 5 GHz. I do have a question though. When I travel will it connect to Wi-Fi bands that are only 2.4 GHz or will I need to change the setting back to auto?

I'm located in Germany - my experience has been that I've been able to connect to most routers on the 5GHz setting - however, you are correct in changing it back to auto when traveling. Good call.

OP
X

xl3ruise

Hii Mikeman,

Thanks for your reply, this helps alot!

Now I can browse and download with a good internet connection :)