What's new

Internet dropping out until Surface is rebooted...

CrippsCorner

Just recently my Surface has developed an issue where the internet loses connection, and the only way to bring it back is to reset. An easy fix of course, but rather frustrating... this is happening once or twice a week. Everything else such as my iPhone & PS3 keeps it's connection to the router.

The internet access symbol gets an explanation mark over it and if I try to diagnose the issue it fails and says it doesn't know what's wrong... anyone else experienced this?

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Nope.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that fixed it the first time this ever happened several weeks ago, but hasn't since... now I don't bother trying seeing as though resetting the Surface is much quicker!

kundas1

obvious question maybe, but have you updated your routers firmware? a lot of the times routers firmware are out dated

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

It's quite new... and wouldn't that effect my other devices too?

Had a slightly new situation on this one today. This has only ever happened before when the Surface has been up and running for several hours. However this morning I booted it up from cold and there was no internet connectivity... once again met with the explanation mark. Rebooted it straight away and it was working perfectly again, weird!

kundas1

MOST routers come with out dated firmware, I bought the newest ASUS router and already had to update the firmware...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@kayzee ,

If you are still having this problem, I recommend disabling IPV6, if you have it enabled. Your router may be hopping over to that protocol. Yes, I blame the router here (check that firmware), but IPV6 is generally not needed, except by some corporate sub-VPN or very specialized laboratory hardware connections.

Screenshot (220).png

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

This just happened again after a little time of being fine... I checked for firmware updates on my router and there hasn't been any since early this year which were automatically installed.

Have just disabled IPv6 so we'll see what happens! I'll make sure to update this thread if it carries on. Thanks for your help so far.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I haven't disabled anything since I did a complete system refresh a few months ago... this dropping of connectivity happens when I'm actually just using the Surface as I go btw, it's not usually the case that I just come to look at if after not using it for a while and it's dropped out.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

For a portable device it stays on my home Wi-Fi 95% of the time lol. Might be taking it away over the next couple of days though as it goes... :)