What's new

Internet dropping out until Surface is rebooted...

olimjj

For a portable device it stays on my home Wi-Fi 95% of the time lol. Might be taking it away over the next couple of days though as it goes... :)
Did you check for any unrecognized/ unauthorized devices on you network at the time of these dropouts/troubles?

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I haven't at those specific times, no. One thing did pop into my head earlier... my other devices that aren't failing are on my BrightBox 2.4GHz connection, whereas my Surface is on my AirPort Express 5GHz (due to bluetooth conflict) I wonder if that could be where the problem lies.

Still, strange that rebooting the Surface fixes it, whereas rebooting the AirPort Express doesn't :confused:

olimjj

I haven't at those specific times, no. One thing did pop into my head earlier... my other devices that aren't failing are on my BrightBox 2.4GHz connection, whereas my Surface is on my AirPort Express 5GHz (due to bluetooth conflict) I wonder if that could be where the problem lies.

Still, strange that rebooting the Surface fixes it, whereas rebooting the AirPort Express doesn't :confused:

Yes it is . Have you tried another router for comparison ? Nevertheless, I would still recommend you periodically check your network map for activity just to eliminate the possibility I mentioned in my previous post. What browser are you using?

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I predominately use Chrome (sometimes IE as well) but this can happen when I'm not even using the internet; just offline applications.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sometimes changing the channel the router is on helps... you have to experiment although a wifi analyzer app can help identify what channel other nearby devices are on and locating a clear band.

I had a lot of trouble with an APE using anything other than another Apple product, just my experience.

Wifi is a tango between your device, your router, your neighbors routers, and other equipment using or straying into the wireless spectrum.

olimjj

I agree with @GreyFox7 comments.
In addition, outside of trying a different Router, and until a definitive solution is found, I would suggest you disconnect/shutdown both your Router and Surface Pro on a more regular basis; perhaps everyday initially. Observe if this improves the situation. You can occasionally do the same with your Modem.
I also still own a Surface Pro and I have followed this procedure with all of my Surface units since day one. I consider this a problem preventative protocol.