What's new

Internet speeds faster on SP2?

vortech

Hello All,

I own a SP3, i5 as well as a SP2, i5. My internet speeds are much faster on the SP2 versus my SP3 (using the Network Speed App). Any ideas as to why this would be? Both machines have the same apps and programs for the most part.
Any advice would be great....thanks in advance!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hello All,

I own a SP3, i5 as well as a SP2, i5. My internet speeds are much faster on the SP2 versus my SP3 (using the Network Speed App). Any ideas as to why this would be? Both machines have the same apps and programs for the most part.
Any advice would be great....thanks in advance!
My guess without more info, your router prefers the Wireless N on the SP2 over the newer Wireless AC on the SP3....

OP
V

vortech

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff. Is there a simple fix for this and how could I confirm that this could be the issue?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the quick reply Jeff. Is there a simple fix for and how could I confirm that this could be the issue?
The easiest path is give us more info on your setup, like what Router are you using? Also check for a Firmware Update for your router.....

leeshor

Short story. I have been using a Netgear WNDR3700 router for some time. For 6 months or so I was having strange things going on on my network, like error in my AV software that I couldn't quite figure out. The errors seems to affect some systems more than others but I tended to ignore them.

I like this router so much I thought I would get a backup router, same model, newer version, reconditioned and pretty cheap, from Amazon. Last weekend I decided to go ahead and install the replacement router just so it wouldn't still be sitting in the box staring at me in the shelf.

As it turns out the router was the problem I was having all this time. The replacement is fabulous. The moral of the story is, never take a router for granted as it typically is in control of several devices at any one time and even what might not have appeared as a glitch to some people was a big glitch on my system. Smooth as silk now.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
First make sure your router Firmware is up to date.
I assume your SP3 is up to date, try deleting the adapter in Device Manager and let it reinstall. Winders loves to fubar the configuration of stuff on a random basis (usually after updates) and more often on a Surface Pro.
Try configuring for 2.4 ghz only or 5ghz only.

Provide more detail on... Connection speeds and transfer speeds.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to the spec sheet your current router supports UP TO:
802.11b/g/n • 3T3R 2.4GHz +5GHz dual band with 450Mbps+450Mbps PHY data rate.

That likely is plenty fast if its working right...

You can determine connection speed by opening Control Panel, view network status and tasks, change adapter settings, press and hold or right click the adapter and select Status.
What is the connection speed of both the SP2 and SP3? This may fluctuate a bit hopefully not a lot.

OP
V

vortech

Hi Greyfox,
So my specs are as follows:
* SP2 - 46mps d/l and 6.2 mps u/l
* SP3 - 4.35 d/l and 0.86 mps u/l
This is with the machines side by side.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not seeing Network Status when I go into Control Panel......
cpl1.png

Cpl2.PNG

Cpl3.PNG

Status.PNG