What's new

iPad Users Habits

kristalsoldier

I came to the SP3 from the original Surface RT and the Surface 2 RT. Alongside, I have had an iPad - first the 4 and now the Air. The SP line (RT and now the Pro) has always been complemented by the iPad. But perhaps that is only because of the roles that the SP3 (now) and the iPad plays in what I do - you can call it my work-flow/ pattern of use etc.

Naturally, I am focusing a LOT of attention on the SP3. It's new and that is to be expected, I guess. As a consequence, I have not used my iPad Air at all.

But this begs the question - how do I use my iPad? Frankly, the iPad is my e-reading device. Only very occasionally do I browse the web and/ or do emails on and from the iPad. As such, I have found the iPad to be stable (for the most part), its aspect ratio is perfect (for my purposes), the app constellation involving accessing and reading documents of various formats is of a very high quality, the battery life is more than acceptable (to me) and, ultimately, the refinement of the device is evident in its physical/ HW design. But I have minimal engagement with the OS (iOS7.xx). I have no need to - aside from installing the updates as and when they are available. Moreover, my expectations regarding the device are limited to the functions that are important to me. So, whatever habits that I have formed by using the iPad are actually habits related to the apps that I use on the device.

My use of the SP3 does not require me to abandon those habits.

OTOH, my use of Windows-driven devices sometimes leads me to inadvertently look for a "file system" on the iPad which, of course, does not exist save in an app-specific manner!

bluegrass

I guess the old saying, "you get what you pay for" mostly holds true in app stores. A lot of people seem to expect $100 to $500 applications for free in these app stores. I personally look at them as a place to maybe pick up a nice utility or a simple game. I don't expect them to provide me with a free Photoshop, Acrobat, Outlook, or video editor.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not downing new generations, but I've observed a huge change in expectations of things that 16 to 40 year olds often have. I'm sure most of them wouldn't realize that it would have taken a school gym full of refrigerator size computers just 40 short years ago to do what you can do on any of the Surfaces. You're output would have been reading the printout from a teletypewriter not a beautiful color screen that sits on your belly in bed. I paid over a $1000 for my Radio Shack Model 1 with I think 16K of memory and a cassette tape based I/O device back in 1978.

cdf3

After using the Surface Pro extensively, I find myself trying to close apps by swiping down from the top bezel on my iPad rather than the 4 finger gesture. I then realize I'm on my iPad when the notification shade drops down, rather than the app closing.

bluegrass

After using the Surface Pro extensively, I find myself trying to close apps by swiping down from the top bezel on my iPad rather than the 4 finger gesture. I then realize I'm on my iPad when the notification shade drops down, rather than the app closing.

After the 4 finger gesture didn't work, did you follow up with the middle finger gesture?

jedge

I do agree the Windows Store is absolutely lacking. The apps that are in the windows store are not only lacking polish but they are missing a lot of features; settings, etc.

That's my only gripe about the surface, and it's not so much the surface, it's the app store on any windows mobile/tablet device.

My iPad habbits consist of jumping into bed at night and catching up on my youtube subscription videos, IGN, etc. I would love to do this on the Surface Pro in tablet mode but the designs on these apps are just unbearable so I mostly am always browsing on the desktop.

I think this arguement is more valid for a smartphone than for a tablet. On a tablet with a large(ish) screen and high-resolution, what's wrong with just going to the website? It's the same information, and usually you get more functionality than on a simplified (though pretty) iOS app.

So far i've been using my SP3 a lot more in Desktop mode than Tablet, even when i don't have a keyboard or mouse attached.

The Hyper youtube app is pretty good. Though it is missing one key subscription component at the moment - identifying when a given subscription has new videos uploaded. I've asked the developer to look into adding this functionality. Maybe you could do the same. :)

Try MetroTube. If you click on "Subscriptions" on the left, it will fill the screen with thumbnails of all the latest videos from all your subscriptions, in order of release. It's pretty cool.

Last edited:

jedge

Does anyone else find it strange that everyone on this forum has an iPad?

I haven't used my iPad much in the last few weeks. I do miss the battery life ("Oh, it's low on battery, eh i'll charge it tomorrow if i remember") and the games. Mostly kids games that my nieces and nephews love.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've never owned an iPad, I've been using real TabletPCs since 2002.....I've had to support them but I won't own one...

malberttoo

This whole thread is completely flawed from the outset, IMHO. You can't directly compare an iPad to a Surface Pro 3!! Yes I own an iPad, and my kids share an iPad mini. My iPad is used almost exclusively for only a couple things. Reading sheet music, and the Nook app. The kids use theirs for games and YouTube.

But to make a comparison at all, it would have to be this- the iPad is a bicycle, and the SP3 is a BMW motorcycle. Yes you can take your bicycle, and put little flappy-things in the spokes to make a "click click click click" sound when you ride, and prop up little boards in your driveway and make ramps out of them, so you can catch 8" or 10" of air on your bike. But you use your BMW on a nice long straight stretch and see if you're brave enough to get 120mhp out of it. If your tires go "click click click", it's a serious source of concern.

I'm just surprised at the number of intelligent individuals that try to compare the two devices, as if they are equals, when from the outset, their origins and usage scenarios are philosophically, and completely, different.

I DO totally get the temptation for many people to say "I'm going to replace my iPad with a new SP3", because after all they are both tablets. But the form factor itself is the ONLY thing these two devices have in common, but maybe it is I who is naive, for assuming that most should get the difference.

My SP3 is my power device. It goes with me everywhere, and is truly a PC. My iPad will always have a place in my life, but the SP3 is what goes with me, if I can only pick one device.

edit: I certainly don't mean to offend the OP, as his initial post was more along the lines of, "I find myself doing or missing these certain things, that I also used to do on a different device that had the exact same form factor", and not "my iPad does this, but my Surface does this".

Last edited:

kodos

Calm down, malberttoo. You sound like you are about to burst a blood vessel. :)

The issue I have with your thesis is that Microsoft would like nothing more for the Windows Store to be the equivalent of the iOS App Store and to have engaging apps that you can run in tablet mode.

After all - when one purchases a Surface Pro 3 (or any Windows 8.1 device), that is the default interface. All of the "Metro" apps, and the entire programming / presentation model for them is geared towards iOS style applications (though with slightly more functionality with split screen/dynamic sizing, etc., etc.).

The only problem for Microsoft is that so far the apps haven't materialized and the apps that are there are somewhat clunky in comparison to their iOS (or even ... Android) versions.

malberttoo

LOL perhaps I do sound on a rant. :D

But, I wasn't talking about the Windows Store, App Store or anything like that. I was talking about the devices.

That WOULD be a spirited thread, comparing the two ecosystems. And indeed, Microsoft does have a tough road to hoe there.

But again, maybe I am just deluding myself in thinking that any comparison can be made at all, without comparing the whole package? I.e., you can't talk about one aspect of the devices without talking about ALL aspects of them? I dunno.

dleuen

I think in the case of SP3 the comparison to the iPad is more legitimate than previous SP models. For me my SP3 has replaced my iPad. I am traveling right now and didn't even bring my iPad, which is a first. So this device does everything my iPad would, is just as comfortable, and can do so much more.

And to the point of the OP the biggest adjustment I have had to make is the differences in the keyboard. I actually like the MS layout better though.

OP
C

chrsb

I was mostly posting about annoying nuances I've been experiencing. I guess in a way it's a compliment to MS, I'm forgetting I'm on my SP3 and not my iPad. I really like this device, I hoping to incorporate it into my daily routine(electrical contractor). I still pull out my iPad for consumption or questionable surfing. I'm hoping a case like this( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HNFPZF0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) comes out soon, then I'd be ready for the job site(punch list, as-builds, print reading, walk through notes)