What's new

Is Continuum Ready?

joell85

I checked out the windows 10 preview when it first came out, but use my sp3 as a tablet to much for that first version to be worth my time. I was wondering if any of you currently using it can bring me up to speed on if Continuum has been implemented and if it is useful enough for another shot. I did try out the latest build on a VM and noticed there is now a tablet mode button, but I don't know how to test Continuum in a VM.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Other than the keyboard activating more reliably, i actually find it worse as a tablet now. For instance the only way i can close MUI apps in tablet mode is to long press the taskbar icon and chose close, i have no close, minimize, maximize buttons at all. On top of that with the likes of drawboard, in tablet mode i can not bring up the app commands without exiting tablet mode and then choose the icon on the top left and click app commands, this is infuriating, e,g, i can not print to onenote from drawboard unless i disable tablet mode.

So my opinion, is continuum ready? Absolutely not.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I checked out the windows 10 preview when it first came out, but use my sp3 as a tablet to much for that first version to be worth my time. I was wondering if any of you currently using it can bring me up to speed on if Continuum has been implemented and if it is useful enough for another shot. I did try out the latest build on a VM and noticed there is now a tablet mode button, but I don't know how to test Continuum in a VM.
Manually from the Settings Screen, all devices except the Surface Pro devices need to do it manually at this point:

upload_2015-1-29_6-59-31.png

Your last question, is it ready? It works but it still very early and there are still bugs to be worked out....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess this release is about appeasing the corporate base and desktop users and we will have to wait another three years after W10 is released for the return of a tablet friendly OS. In the meantime just don't upgrade and keep running Win 8.1.

I'm not liking the choices in OS/Office/Device Size they are making either and they appear to be abandoning the middle ground completely. Perhaps they should employ the George Costanza "Do The Opposite" strategy because every move seems to be the wrong one.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I guess this release is about appeasing the corporate base and desktop users and we will have to wait another three years after W10 is released for the return of a tablet friendly OS. In the meantime just don't upgrade and keep running Win 8.1.

I'm not liking the choices in OS/Office/Device Size they are making either and they appear to be abandoning the middle ground completely. Perhaps they should employ the George Costanza "Do The Opposite" strategy because every move seems to be the wrong one.
This is the first public release of the Tablet UI, it is still early. It will be up to the OEMs to release the Continuum Drivers for their devices to tell Windows when it is ready to move into Tablet Mode - i.e. When the Yoga swivels or when a 2 and 1 detaches from the Keyboard, etc.. We haven't seen the Mobile SKU as of yet, we won't until sometime in February. I've used the Touch Version of Office and it really is cool. I can't wait for Windows 10 on my 1520 with Office :)

benjitek

I've been using it for a few days now on a spare laptop, not my SP. I think it'd work fine, by I'd rather hold off until release for use on a primary device.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using it for a few days now on a spare laptop, not my SP. I think it'd work fine, by I'd rather hold off until release for use on a primary device.

Its a very different experience when you only have touch input. That is to say with certain apps, tablet mode is not at all usable.

benjitek

Its a very different experience when you only have touch input. That is to say with certain apps, tablet mode is not at all usable.
Right... regardless, if your SP is your primary device, I'd hold off installing Windows 10 Preview. Thanks though.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right... regardless, if your SP is your primary device, I'd hold off installing Windows 10 Preview. Thanks though.

Dont get me wrong. I use it as my only OS on my surface, and despite its issues in the new build, i still prefer it to 8.1.

bvone21

I installed Win10 in a dual boot configuration...

Meh...not a fan...will continue to provide feedback to Microsoft though.

It's excellent for a desktop...it's not as nice to use as 8.1 with the surface (and I suspect any device where you spend more time with a touch screen rather than a mouse). In fact, the early indication is that we'll get tweaks and additional options, and probably a lot more visual upgrades. But it sounds like what we have in this build from a functional standpoint is what is planned for release (i.e. decisions on swipes, charms, task bar, vertical scrolling, etc.)...that's not good.

Having been a new user of Win8.1 (since Dec '14)...it just "makes sense" with the Surface...Win10 build 9926 does a lot to "undo" that. Hopefully significant changes are pending...we can only keep providing constructive feedback.

Liam2349

Absolutely not. 8.1 is better for tablet use, and I'd argue generally better all around even with the new features due to 8.1 being massively more reliable, silent and being far more efficient.

RémiM

I feel like you guys are complaining about a Technical Preview... This is definitely a joke. You must be happy to actually have the chance to try a software 1 year before its official launch. Stable or not stable, tablet friendly or not tablet friendly. It's called a Technical Preview and there is a reason for that. Before pushing the install button, you had at least 2 messages warning you that the distro must be unstable, must not fill all your expectations and most importantly that it must not be used as a daily OS.

Thank you Microsoft and thank you all the guys working hard on a daily basis. That is all what we should say about Win10.