What's new

Is It My Imagination, or Has Latest Win10 Update Reduced Heat & Fan Running Somewhat?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never reset or refreshed my machine and I don't have most of the issues others have. The high irq problem comes and goes, almost always after a sleep. I will tell you, I don't use most of the supplied drivers. I have updated the windows chipset util, I use the very latest intel drivers. I am using the unreleased firmware. Which does NOT fix the irq issue (just fyi). Maybe being in IT since 1987 scares my systems into behaving. :)
I generally have had good results or luck even with my Surface 2 which I used for a year and a half and never had issues and was never refreshed/reset. But I've had bad luck and no luck at all with SP3 & S3.

Compusmurf

It's all going to end up being a bad driver somewhere. Million dollar question is, which one. I'm going to place a bet that it'll be usb/sd card related drivers. I can also state with a fair bit of certainty that the Bluetooth driver isn't very optimized. I've had to disable all the Bluetooth drivers and such from allowing sleep.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Different results on the same base happen all the time across all segments, even if the same titles are installed, often even the order of the installs can impact performance and health of the machine.

Compusmurf

Another gotcha that many folks fall for. All in one tweak tools, registry cleaning tools, optimization tools. Folks, these are BAD news and almost always cause unintended consequences.
If you do NOT know how to make your tweaks via powershell or manual registry changes and do NOT know what those changes are going to affect (and I mean based on your own knowledge, not what you find in another forum) and you do NOT have a back-out plan that's tested and works, then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Far too many folks fall victim to these types of tools, accept defaults and just go crazy. Sure, some of the tweaks are fine, but too many times, you end up with future problems down the line.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another gotcha that many folks fall for. All in one tweak tools, registry cleaning tools, optimization tools. Folks, these are BAD news and almost always cause unintended consequences.
If you do NOT know how to make your tweaks via powershell or manual registry changes and do NOT know what those changes are going to affect (and I mean based on your own knowledge, not what you find in another forum) and you do NOT have a back-out plan that's tested and works, then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Far too many folks fall victim to these types of tools, accept defaults and just go crazy. Sure, some of the tweaks are fine, but too many times, you end up with future problems down the line.
Not my case at all... though I am suspecting using the same account on multiple devices may have synced incompatible settings especially since things got generally much worse on all systems after introducing the first W10 for which I disabled all syncing after a few hours as it polluted my 8.1 devices with W10 nonsense. Still have a blue tinted translucent taskbar on one device from that.