What's new

Is it worth buying the new SP4 type cover to use on my SP3?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Um, anyone get this to work on W8.1 or is everyone using W10?
I tried the SP4 keyboard on my Surface 3 W8.1 and couldn't load the driver.
I might have missed something but I don't think it will work on W8.1.

VickiFL

Um, anyone get this to work on W8.1 or is everyone using W10?
I tried the SP4 keyboard on my Surface 3 W8.1 and couldn't load the driver.
I might have missed something but I don't think it will work on W8.1.

I have the new Surface Pro typecover, and I'm using it with my SP3 with Win 8.1. I've had no problems at all.

dstrauss

Does the fingerprint reader on SP3 work to log you in to web sites that require password, or just Windows logon?

Just login and Windows store for now - Thurrott reports it will be open to a "MS Pay" type system in the near future - wouldn't hold my breath though.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Im dissapointed the the new trackpad isnt anymore responsive, its still garbage IMO. Its just bigger, but since its still garbage I wont be using it anyways.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely worth it. I was all set up to sell my SP3 to Gazelle, and had the box. But then, I reconsidered and ordered the new Type Cover 4 with the fingerprint reader to upgrade my Surface Pro 3.

Very happy to be using the new cover. Good key action. Fast fingerprint reading. Volume buttons. Menu button.

Had to take off my UAG Rogue case to allow the wider keyboard to fit flush with the screen, though.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely worth it! I feel like I'm using a brand new machine.

That's what I hope it'll be like for me, Still got to wait another week or two for mine though the pre-order is still saying ship by Nov 12. :(

Not even an option to buy the fingerprint version in the UK.

zhenya

I have the new Surface Pro typecover, and I'm using it with my SP3 with Win 8.1. I've had no problems at all.

The fingerprint reader, however, appears to be Win 10 only at the moment, which is weird, because 8.1 supports fingerprint login natively just fine.

dstrauss

Im dissapointed the the new trackpad isnt anymore responsive, its still garbage IMO. Its just bigger, but since its still garbage I wont be using it anyways.

Guess that's what they mean by personal choice - to me the trackpad is significantly bigger and much better - YMMV.

I wish Microsoft has this as a FREE upgrade for SP3 owners. Seriousl, $170CDN? WOW

A trade in program (say $50 credit) would be nice, but to expect a free upgrade is too much.

ChiGGz

Are you guys finding the new Type Cover less "bouncy" than the old one when typing? Sometimes I would lay the type cover flat (unfolded) because it just felt too "bouncy" due to the gap. I'm hoping the additional travel depth on the new keys have would mitigate this.