What's new

Is it worth buying the new SP4 type cover to use on my SP3?

OP
K

kiwigirl

take it back and go back the the old typecover then.

It's about the same cost as the original type cover was.

Dont get me wrong, I do like the new type cover a lot. Even though the trackpad still isnt anymore responsive as the old one, the bigger space does make me want to actually use it to highlight stuff from time to time. Though my main preference is still to use the touch screen as my mouse. On the old cover, I never used the trackpad cause it was too small and sucked.

If the trackpad on the new one was actually more responsive I would be able to swallow the cost of it but it still sucks compared to a mac trackpad.

For ex - two finger scrolling in any browser. I can do it on the SP4 trackpad and half of the time it wont pick up until seconds later. For a $170CDN device, this is unacceptable.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Dont get me wrong, I do like the new type cover a lot. Even though the trackpad still isnt anymore responsive as the old one, the bigger space does make me want to actually use it to highlight stuff from time to time. Though my main preference is still to use the touch screen as my mouse. On the old cover, I never used the trackpad cause it was too small and sucked.

If the trackpad on the new one was actually more responsive I would be able to swallow the cost of it but it still sucks compared to a mac trackpad.

For ex - two finger scrolling in any browser. I can do it on the SP4 trackpad and half of the time it wont pick up until seconds later. For a $170CDN device, this is unacceptable.
All of that is fixed with the Firmware Updates....

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
My SP3 did a firmware update this morning . Hopefully that'll preempt any problems with the type cover when I get it!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Send me a link Cause I did a f/w update and it made no difference.
Do you have the new cover? It will pull the update when attached...you can download the entire driver package from the download site (grab the .msi).

macmee

I literally just got my hands on the new type cover 10 minutes ago and I can already say it's a huge improvement over the old one. Keys seem much easier to hit and the trackpad is larger. It's a lot better!