Is Microsoft Going to Axe the Surface RT?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by macmee, Nov 28, 2013.

1. macmee

macmee Active Member

I just had a look at this article: Microsoft ready to kill Windows RT | Technology | theguardian.com

Do you guys think Microsoft's thinking about pulling the plug? Do you regret getting an RT device?

2. oion

oion Well-Known Member

My Device:
    S2
    1 person likes this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    No, they are not killing RT, it would be more accurate that they are killing off Phone 8 as in the merge RT is becoming the base for both platforms. The press has hated RT from the beginning because it wasn't Apple or Android, they would really wish MS would just stick with x86 desktop and then die off like they predicted.

1 person likes this.
  4. ctitanic

ctitanic Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I couldn't say it better. Pure BS.

The contrary, 2014 will be a year where WP and WRT will be unified making the developers life a lot easier.

5. macmee

macmee Active Member

I don't know what to think because I honestly wouldn't be surprised IF Microsoft axed RT, all I want is for them to open it up, let devs digitally sign desktop apps for RT already!

6. jnjroach

My Device:
    Surface Book
    RT is going the other direction, it will kill the Desktop. Microsoft with its mobile OS needs the Store Concept as it the most secure way to protect the consumer for bad programming or worse. If a WinRT Application crashes it doesn't take out the rest of the system.

Merging RT and Phone allows for the easy and explainable killing off of the desktop UI. I also predict that the new platform will just be called Windows.

7. macmee

macmee Active Member

Hell will freeze over before RT kills the desktop, I think.

8. jnjroach

My Device:
    Surface Book
    They are not going to put the desktop on a 3.8" screen, even in RT(8.1) the desktop icon isn't on the Start Menu. Windows on ARM will be desktop-less after the merged OS completion. I believe they will keep the desktop on the x86 version for at least one or two upgrade cycles with each deprecating a bit more of its functionality.

I could still see that only the Pro and/or Enterprise versions of Windows keeps the Desktop and all of the consumer versions share the merged OS aesthetics. Also this would allow MS to get more money out of those who want the backwards Win32 support.

1 person likes this.
  9. kayzee

kayzee Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Larson-Green said at UBS that she expected the desktop to continue "for [her] lifetime."

So... hopefully it'll still be going in 35 years time :) Yes I'm a geek and actually worked it out from her age and the average life expectancy of females in America! What else am I gonna do on my lunch break?

10. ChemCat

ChemCat New Member

I certainly hope rt isn't going away any time soon. I just convinced some higher up's in my company that rt is good for on-the-go business.

11. gwinegarden

gwinegarden Member

The Guardian puts out some of the most uninformed crap I've seen.

12. Nuspieds

Nuspieds Active Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    It's 2013--nearly 2014--and we're at Windows 8.1 and the DOS box app is still around. The Desktop isn't disappearing anytime soon, either, simply because of legacy support.

But I don't think it is RT (or whatever) that will kill the Desktop; rather, I think it is the Desktop that will kill the (heavy need for the) Desktop, similar to the DOS box. That is, just as we have in the past gravitated and migrated away from DOS to the GUI, we will do the same with the Desktop. As I continue to find Modern UI replacements for my Desktop apps, I am relying less and less on the Desktop. There is absolutely no doubt that I love and much prefer the Modern UI over the Desktop.

I still have quite a ways to go before all my Desktop apps are retired and I'm using Modern UI apps 99.99% of the time, similar to how I was using the Desktop 99.99% of the time and the DOS box only .01%, but the time will come--it just won't be soon like in one or two Windows upgrade cycles; there are just too many legacy Windows apps.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013