What's new

Solved Is My Surface 2 Faulty

Paul Roberts

Hi Guys,

I initially had a Surface RT and after some time I decided to upgrade to the Surface 2. I got my Surface 2 in August Last year - I initially had an issue where the battery wouldn't charge but after resetting it and such it started to work.

I've always been a little conscious that it didn't seem as much as a smooth experience as the original machine, but i kept on with it.

I used to love using Splashtop on the original device but for some reason i've had no success with it on the Surface 2 - the app was able to connect to my desktop however the update of the display was so Laggy and unusable. Like 5 seconds or so to register touches and the screen would update at like 0.5 fps.

Last night i decided to have another go with it and found it was still the same.

Looking at a few youtube videos it seems people have no such issues with Splashtop on their Surface 2's?

Taking it further I decided to Benchmark using 3DMark Extreme - and I seem to be getting abysmal performance.

1st test was struggling to stay above 30fps, 2nd test is about the same but drops down to single digits in the last few seconds. The Physics test averages around 15fps.

As you can see from this video - my figures are nowhere near as they should be.

I've cleared the device again and started from scratch, but the same is occuring.
I'm beginning to think I have a faulty device.

What do you guys think? Do you have issues with Splashtop? What kind of performance are you guys getting with the 3DMark Extreme test?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The other day, just for the hell of it, I Setup Splashtop from my Surface Pro 3 to my Surface 2 to use as an extended screen then projected my Surface 2 to my big screen TV through Miracast via Netgear PTV3000. This was pretty responsive and I ran it that way for a couple hours without experiencing unusual delays considering the double/triple relay SP3 to S2 to PTV/TV. There's no practical use of this, it was just an exercise. :)

You may have a problem with yours, sorry if it's not working to full potential although it may be a wireless issue.

I'll get back to you on 3DMark...

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Your post begs a couple questions. What exactly are you calling "cleared the device"? If you in fact did a full reset what did you (re)install before testing?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, on 3DMark your scores were 9586 and 13859
On mine I got 9519 and 14171.
The reported averages are 9426 and 13959
So I don't see any issue with those results as they are within a 2% range for this device and comparable to other similar devices.

OP
P

Paul Roberts

Thanks for the Responses

@leeshor - Thanks for the welcome :)
When i say Cleared the Device I mean from Update And Recovery >> Remove everything and reinstall Windows
I tested Splashtop as soon as I could get into the store to download it and found the same poor performance, I then allowed the device to update its Firmware and install it's updates; tested again - no difference.

@GreyFox7 - The Video of the 3DMark benchmark isn't mine, it's just one that I found on Youtube for reference. My score was around under 5000 - I don't remember the number exactly and can't provide it at the moment as I'm at work and don't have the Surface with me.

The result even stated underneath it something along the lines of 'This is a Powerful Device and your score is well under the average, close some running applications and allow the device to cool down'

Also worthy of note - the device is always hot at the top right quarter. Just normal usage it gets pretty warm.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then Id contact support for a replacement or via the purchase outlet as appropriate. 5000 is about halfast :)

nucu.sandu

I myself have a generally bad experience with the Surface 2, I don't reccomend at all. The problem is that you can't do nothig, no upgrade possible, isn't it?
Many, too many apps with malfunctioning, a lots of issues that did not function as it should be.
I am very dissapointed.
Is there any posibility to upgrade?

oion

I myself have a generally bad experience with the Surface 2, I don't reccomend at all. The problem is that you can't do nothig, no upgrade possible, isn't it?
Many, too many apps with malfunctioning, a lots of issues that did not function as it should be.
I am very dissapointed.
Is there any posibility to upgrade?

"Can't do nothig" isn't a legitimate complaint--you'll have to be specific about your issues, and then we might figure out if it's a faulty unit or software bug or PEBCAK. You may very well have just a lemon, as the tablet itself is great for people who understand what it is and use it to full effect. But if you've had only bad experiences with it, you should have sought warranty support; if you bought it more recently from MS Spain, your warranty is probably still in effect.

I don't understand your "upgrade" question, but I'll guess you're asking if you can trade it in for something like a Surface Pro 2? Answer is no. There has never been a trade-up program with Microsoft.

nucu.sandu

You're right, i should be more specific, but I've already posted my complaints in various threads. I am in hurry right now, I can't detail all, I'll only mention some of my complaints, which make the tablet unuseable for me:
1. No possibility of using access, it was my fault that I didn't read carefully, I saw ofice and assume that acces pack was too installed.
2. No possibility of using wireless display, I intented with Samsung TV year 2014 and various android TVbox - no possibility of miracast functioning.
3. Bluetooth - pair and unpair problems. If you change lets say from an av receptor to a headphone you have to initiate all the process of pairing.
4. Foscam apps - basic, crashes continously, meanwhile all the android devices works perfectly.
5. I have a Synology NAS, I Have no apps for it, I have to use it from the browser, which means that when I change to another apps it stops, so you can't liten any more.
6. Teamviewer - only client. No use, I need to remotly connect to Surface.
7. Scanning with HP allinone printer - impossible
8. DLNA function - crushes frecuently with various devices, and do not recognize many of them (i've tried with 3 tvboxes, chrome cast and 2 TV samsung.
I have more, right now I cant remember, but i'll post.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No possibility of using access, it was my fault that I didn't read carefully, I saw ofice and assume that acces pack was too installed.
It came with Office Home and Student RT, no version of Office Home and Student includes Access
No possibility of using wireless display, I intented with Samsung TV year 2014 and various android TVbox - no possibility of miracast functioning
I used Miracast all the time with my Surface 2, it out performed my Surface Pro 2 using Wireless Displays. Samsung uses Whitelists for connections as do most Android based receivers, the problem lies with them. The Surface 2 works well with ScreenBeam, Netgear, Belkin and the Microsoft Wireless Adapter.
Bluetooth - pair and unpair problems. If you change lets say from an av receptor to a headphone you have to initiate all the process of pairing
My experience with Bluetooth streaming, the S2 could move from any paired Bluetooth Speaker I was using.
Foscam apps - basic, crashes continously, meanwhile all the android devices works perfectly.
Sorry - haven't used it...
I have a Synology NAS, I Have no apps for it, I have to use it from the browser, which means that when I change to another apps it stops, so you can't liten any more
Switch to the Desktop Browser and email Synology requesting an App
Teamviewer - only client. No use, I need to remotly connect to Surface.
Interesting Use Case, but TeamViewer Server requires an x86/x64 machine
Scanning with HP allinone printer - impossible
I'll assume you've installed the HP MUI Scanning App
DLNA function - crushes frecuently with various devices, and do not recognize many of them (i've tried with 3 tvboxes, chrome cast and 2 TV samsung
I used DNLA for streaming to my Xbox One for hours, again Samsung uses Whitelists....

It looks like you needed a x86/x64 Tablet, I used RT as my primary mobile Windows Machine for 2 years prior to the release of the SP3 and loved it....

OP
P

Paul Roberts

Hey guys - oh i see my thread was somewhat hijacked a little :D

Quick update from myself - i had Microsoft replace my Surface 2 - Great service and pretty speedy turnaround - i think i was pretty lucky and got a brand new replacement instead of a refurb (I've read a few horror stories after sending it off - phew!).

The good news is that now the 3DMark Benchmark is as it should be and it reports that my Surface is working as it should be. Great!

However..... my issues with Splashtop continue.. Can anyone confirm they've successfully used Splashtop on a Surface 2?

The streamer is working perfect while using Splashtop to my Android phone, so i'm sure its configured correctly and no issues with my network.

This is really annoying me - i'd love to be able to access my desktop on this thing....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could you try another app to see if this is an app specific issue or network/wireless related?
Maybe TeamViewer Touch, or the built in Remote Desktop app.
If you check the "status" of your wireless network adapter what is the reported connection speed?