What's new

is SP3 really "in stores" - can i go check it out?

mohcho

Umm, to demo? They did the same thing with the previous Generations. The reason they are in Best Buy as well is due to the Microsoft Store partnership that Microsoft has with Best Buy. We're all in the same boat buddy, I have a first gen surface, and anxious to get a hold of the SP3. I may have purchased the i7, but due to its much delayed release I decided it wasn't worth the extra $300 and time waited. Microsoft flubbed on that one.

I meant that if they have it to demo, why can't we just buy it on that day as well? MUST HAVE NEW SURFACE! :)

OP
M

mtalinm

BBY didn't have it last night, but MS had one this morning.

I was a bit taken aback by how big the screen is. but the thinness almost makes up for it, wow it's the same thickness as a non-Pro Surface as far as I can tell.

the new hinge doesn't solve the "lapability" problem though, at least not for me. sat on a stool in the MSFT store and the thing is still top heavy. sigh.

now hurry up and release the i7 version with half a terabyte of disk space so I can buy one :)

Klownicle

Went to my local BestBuy and it wasn't on display (typical). I asked the local MS guy there, and they said they had it in the back but hadn't received approval to display it as the manager was too busy "hiring" people. I'll try another one that's on my way home later.

Anyone know of the MS Kiosks in the mall have them? Or just the full fledge store?

Went to MS store in Cleveland just to see it in person. I had my SP2 already boxed to send to Gazelle as I knew I would want the SP3. It did not disappoint. Yes, seems to be a big screen but I really like the 3:2 format. Also really like the pen which is the main reason why I want the Surface product.

Was told that by Pre-ordering in the store, they will have one waiting for me on June 20 and I would have 2 days to pick it up. To bring my proof of education discount justification (elementary school receipt) and i would pay the discounted amount then.

Purchased the i5/8/256 version. While I did not do the "lap test" I believe it will still be just what I want. I had to use my glasses on the smaller SP2 but do not think this will be the case on the SP3.

Dim-Ize

I want one too. Maybe i will wait to read ya'lls reviews. Or wait until 3.1 when they discover how to attach the pen.

tskwara

A quick report from Orchard Park, NY (just outside Buffalo, NY) on 6/6/2014 @ 5:00PM EST:

After work I checked with two local BB and neither had them on display. I stopped by the local MS retail store and they had two on display (i5/128GB) along side a dedicated staff member to answer questions. She was helpful and seemed to have some limited training on the device.

The increase in screen size is nice - I felt the original SP1/2 size was just a bit too small to be productive. At the same time, the slimmer depth prevented being overwhelmed by the extra screen dimensions. I held the tablet in various positions and grips just to get a feel for the new footprint and I can honestly say it felt great in-hand. A solid package that gave me no concerns at all.

The fit-and-finish was very impressive. The machining or casting process used to produce the housing was precise and has a premium look and feel. The expanded kickstand range of motion is incredible, especially if you have some interest in drawing with the pen. I can't get over how sophisticated the hinge mechanism is - it reminded me of robust landing gear from a plane. Very sturdy indeed.

The pen is nice - very nice. Response time was fast, with no noticeable lag. Pressure sensitivity was obvious and without issue. The pen profile, weight, balance, and appearance were all on the mark. The pen is something I hope to take advantage of for quick ideation and notes in the lab. The click-to-OneNote is super-convenient and I think this will be a huge differentiator.

With regard to the pen, I read an article by an artist on Penney Arcade who had an issue with the new placement of the Windows button on the right side of the screen. He said as a right-hander he would sometimes rest his hand on the button area while drawing, which resulted in a button press that exited the application. I thought this was an edge case situation, but I checked since I'll be doing a lot of drawing and writing with the pen. While testing with FreshPaint, this indeed happened and gave me heartburn. Oddly, testing in OneNote did not trigger an accidental app exit. I hope some configuration of button behavior comes about soon to avoid the complaints.

That's all I could test before returning home in time for family fun night.

My pre-order remains in place (i5/256GB) and I can't wait to get my own SP3!

-TS

Last edited:
OP
M

mtalinm

went to a second MSFT store tonight. lapability was still crummy, at least on the store stools. maybe I have short femurs. either way, it's still too topheavy. would be okay if there were something to lean the screen on.

I asked about trade-in and they said $400 for my 256G SP2. that's what they gave me for my SP1. groan. might not be trading in this time...

A quick report from Orchard Park, NY (just outside Buffalo, NY) on 6/6/2014 @ 5:00PM EST:

After work I checked with two local BB and neither had them on display. I stopped by the local MS retail store and they had two on display (i5/128GB) along side a dedicated staff member to answer questions. She was helpful and seemed to have some limited training on the device.

The increase in screen size is nice - I felt the original SP1/2 size was just a bit too small to be productive. At the same time, the slimmer depth prevented being overwhelmed by the extra screen dimensions. I held the tablet in various positions and grips just to get a feel for the new footprint and I can honestly say it felt great in-hand. A solid package that gave me no concerns at all.

The fit-and-finish was very impressive. The machining or casting process used to produce the housing was precise and has a premium look and feel. The expanded kickstand range of motion is incredible, especially if you have some interest in drawing with the pen. I can't get over how sophisticated the hinge mechanism is - it reminded me of robust landing gear from a plane. Very sturdy indeed.

The pen is nice - very nice. Response time was fast, with no noticeable lag. Pressure sensitivity was obvious and without issue. The pen profile, weight, balance, and appearance were all on the mark. The pen is something I hope to take advantage of for quick ideation and notes in the lab. The click-to-OneNote is super-convenient and I think this will be a huge differentiator.

With regard to the pen, I read an article by an artist on Penney Arcade who had an issue with the new placement of the Windows button on the right side of the screen. He said as a right-hander he would sometimes rest his hand on the button area while drawing, which resulted in a button press that exited the application. I thought this was an edge case situation, but I checked since I'll be doing a lot of drawing and writing with the pen. While testing with FreshPaint, this indeed happened and gave me heartburn. Oddly, testing in OneNote did not trigger an accidental app exit. I hope some configuration of button behavior comes about soon to avoid the complaints.

That's all I could test before returning home in time for family fun night.

My pre-order remains in place (i5/256GB) and I can't wait to get my own SP3!

-TS