What's new

is SP3 really "in stores" - can i go check it out?

Seneleron

There's a reason, presumably, that best buy website says "ships by" rather than "ships on". The syntax suggests release day delivery. Now, this may only apply to those that have upgraded their shipping, I don't know. I do know I chose the high end shipping for that very reason.

Has no choice but to go with them... One year no interest

bamaster

Can anyone confirm or refute that these will shipped to ARRIVE on the 20th?, what has Microsoft done in the past?

Yesterday in the Microsoft store (and also previously on the phone) I was told that online pre-orders were shipping ON the Friday the 20th, so not to expect it delivered until the following week. They also told me that I had to pre-order in the store by today (6/13) to have a guaranteed unit on release day. So I ordered in the store and cancelled my online order.

That's not to say you can't pre-order it and still get one at a Microsoft store on release day. I'm sure each store will have units available for purchase. And of course, they could have been lying to me, so your mileage may vary.

MickeyLittle

Yesterday in the Microsoft store (and also previously on the phone) I was told that online pre-orders were shipping ON the Friday the 20th, so not to expect it delivered until the following week. They also told me that I had to pre-order in the store by today (6/13) to have a guaranteed unit on release day. So I ordered in the store and cancelled my online order.

That's not to say you can't pre-order it and still get one at a Microsoft store on release day. I'm sure each store will have units available for purchase. And of course, they could have been lying to me, so your mileage may vary.

We will see if you were told right or wrong soon enough. I for one expect to see shipping notices and tracking numbers sometime by Tuesday evening. :big smile:

jedge

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like it might be better to pick it up then to chance the shipping... if you absolutely have to have it on the 20th.
Since i don't have a Microsoft Store nearby, i'll go with Best Buy. It's just as well since i don't get a student discount and i could use the Best Buy points. Turns out Best Buy is just like Microsoft, if you order online all you can do is get it shipped. There's no way to order online and pick up at the store. But, again just like Microsoft, if you go into the store you can reserve one for launch day and they'll hold it for you. Unlike Microsoft, Best Buy makes you reserve it by buying a $50 gift card (which you can use to purchase the SP3). So that's what i did.

Also, both of the guys at my Best Buy that i talked to said they would definitely be in on the 20th. He hinted they'd be in earlier but said Microsoft fines them if they release early.

P.S., in order to pick it up at the store, you have to GO THERE to pre-order/reserve it, i.e. you can't just call the store and talk to their rep. That goes for Best Buy and the Microsoft Store.

Last edited:

kgneo

A possible place to buy the SP3 NOW!1

Hey there,
was in TigerDirect today asking them about the SP3 and were they taking pre-orders. I said I was getting 4 of them but had reserved them at my local store already and would might as well get it from Microsoft on release date. he BLEW MY MIND, he didn't seem to know they were supposed to wait until next weekend didn't If he had THE MODEL I Wanted 8GB/256GB HD.I would have at least bought one or two. I don't want Microsoft to sue them for selling early like Apple or Google did when target sold a phone a week early, only one phone was sold and the fine was nearly a million dollars.

if you are planning on trying to buy one..private msg me...i will give you directions or the name of the store

DanL

Hey there,
was in TigerDirect today asking them about the SP3 and were they taking pre-orders. I said I was getting 4 of them but had reserved them at my local store already and would might as well get it from Microsoft on release date. he BLEW MY MIND, he didn't seem to know they were supposed to wait until next weekend didn't If he had THE MODEL I Wanted 8GB/256GB HD.I would have at least bought one or two. I don't want Microsoft to sue them for selling early like Apple or Google did when target sold a phone a week early, only one phone was sold and the fine was nearly a million dollars.

if you are planning on trying to buy one..private msg me...i will give you directions or the name of the store

I ordered in person at my local BB and store pickup was not available at the time. I thought that was odd because you usually have the option. When I ordered the SP2 at the same store last fall I was offered store pickup or delivery.

jedge

Hey there,

As cool as getting the SP3 a week early would be, there is a valid reason to wait. First day patches. While the hardware is ready, the software and drivers might still need be tweaked right up until the launch day, especially on a high-profile release such as this. On the other hand, they have demo units in-store already, so the hardware and software must be pretty much finalized right?

MickeyLittle

As cool as getting the SP3 a week early would be, there is a valid reason to wait. First day patches. While the hardware is ready, the software and drivers might still need be tweaked right up until the launch day, especially on a high-profile release such as this. On the other hand, they have demo units in-store already, so the hardware and software must be pretty much finalized right?

Except that all our units are boxed so when we get ours there will be a firmware update to install right out of the box.

JesseDiaz

I called the microsoft store twice and both people said I would have it i my hands on June 20th for what it's worth

geckoking

I finally got to try the surface pro 3 today at best buy. I'm coming from the original surface pro. First thing I tried were to test the speakers. It was louder than the original but not by much, at least it's and improvement. I love the screen size and it was crips and sharp. Snapping two apps is awesome with more room to work with. The kickstand is sturdy and needs an bit of force to adjust, which is good. The blue type cover looks great and it's the one I'm going to get. The best thing was the pen with one note. This felt so natural writing and so accurate. Very smooth and so much better than the original pro. I wish I had more time to play with it but someone behind me wanted to try it out also. Hope microsoft online comes through with a Friday delivery. Can't wait!!!