What's new

Is the Core M not as strong as Haswell's

grumpy

Investing in apps is a dead end strategy. WinRT is dead and no one who really wants a laptop replacement wants to exist in an app ecosystem. The Windows store will never be able to compete with the Android and Apple counterparts. App developers and users alike don't care about Window apps.

Liam2349

Investing in apps is a dead end strategy. WinRT is dead and no one who really wants a laptop replacement wants to exist in an app ecosystem. The Windows store will never be able to compete with the Android and Apple counterparts. App developers and users alike don't care about Window apps.

Soon, the same apps will be able to run across xbox, Windows Phone, RT and Windows proper, so there will be a much greater incentive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You realize you just contradicted yourself in one statement.

macmee

You realize you just contradicted yourself in one statement.

He's not wrong. Nobody is spearheading their great startup app idea on the Windows platform. It's still very much iOS all the way, with a pinch of Android on the side if there's enough manpower to dev for it.

Microsoft needs to win people over to WP and Windows in general. They could easily write an Android compatibility layer for WP (as Blackberry did but do it better). Microsoft could also be giving out dev grants for good apps to jumpstart the market. But I haven't heard much from them. Previously Microsoft has never had to worry about a stagnant app ecosystem since Windows was so huge in the consumer market, so I don't have much faith in that Microsoft has the expertise to win in the app front.

edit: also, if Microsoft really wants to get high sales for the Surface, they need to make the damned thing cheaper. I can get an iPad Air for a few hundred bucks, or I can get a Nexus 7 for even cheaper. They would make a low/mid end surface and sell it at a loss if they cared about marketshare.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's not wrong. Nobody is spearheading their great startup app idea on the Windows platform. It's still very much iOS all the way, with a pinch of Android on the side if there's enough manpower to dev for it.

Microsoft needs to win people over to WP and Windows in general. They could easily write an Android compatibility layer for WP (as Blackberry did but do it better). Microsoft could also be giving out dev grants for good apps to jumpstart the market. But I haven't heard much from them. Previously Microsoft has never had to worry about a stagnant app ecosystem since Windows was so huge in the consumer market, so I don't have much faith in that Microsoft has the expertise to win in the app front.

edit: also, if Microsoft really wants to get high sales for the Surface, they need to make the damned thing cheaper. I can get an iPad Air for a few hundred bucks, or I can get a Nexus 7 for even cheaper. They would make a low/mid end surface and sell it at a loss if they cared about marketshare.
Yes, that what I'm talking about with the Billion dollars. Pay them to develop the apps.

Besides Desktop apps are DEAD. They have no future so you need Modern apps anyway and its becoming critical whether Full Windows or RT the future is the Modern App.

Last edited: