What's new

Is the Microsoft Bluetooth Arc Mouse worth it?

kundas1

I'm starting to not stand the Arc mouse, the middle button that scrolls stops working and I have to turn it off then on to get it to work again, and also when I'm gaming there is a bad lag, and finally the mouse doesn't track well on certain surfaces... not impressed with this mouse at all especially with the price it sells at....

malikons

Using arc mouse surface edition with my SP3 and absolutely loving it! It is really mobile and looks pretty cool as well. Highly recommended.

nipponham

Don't mean to hijack the thread with another question...but it's somewhat related. I just got my SP3 this week and LOVE it so far. My only issue is I absolutely HATE typing on a keyboard with a touch pad. I screw up my typing all the time. UGH!! My laptop that I just sold had an option to disable the touchpad if a mouse was plugged in. I don't recall if that was a feature of the laptop itself or the mouse. But for you guys and gals that have the Arc mouse, can you disable the touchpad on the keyboard if your mouse is plugged in?

Thanks in advance
I know this response is kind of late, but I just signed up today! As for your question, yes you can disable the touch pad when a mouse is in use. The setting itself is in SP3’s PC setting>PC and Device>Mouse and Touch pad. (I don’t know if those are the exact headings since I have a Japanese SP3.) There is a setting in there where you can decrease the sensitivity of the touch pad as well so the cursor doesn’t jump around the screen at the slightest brush of your hand.

Lobo

While I like full-size mice like the Logitech Performance MX, the Arc Touch is great, if you only need a mouse in addition to the other input methods.

Now, given the ergonomics I wouldn't want to use it 24/7, but the flat design is great and not much of a bother to carry along.

The only thing I'd prefer is a regular scrolling wheel, since the scrolling touch mechanism does have its quirks. Oh, and it wouldn't hurt if those buttons would click just a tad bit earlier towards the top.

Little probs aside, I highly recommend it for mobile situations.

kundas1

yea if you read my post above, the mouse is only marginally better than the track pad and is ONLY good if you need it for light stuff and need a mouse in a pinch, but other than that it works horrible! would never buy one again def!

Lobo

@kundas1 Yes I can see you mentioned gaming as well, I imagine how much of a pain that would be. My judgement is pure related to office stuff and it works great, when you're on the desktop and need to click your way through tiny menus.

I'm wondering about your problems with certain surfaces, though. They tout some magic BlueTrack technology on the tech details and I got to say it really hasn't let me down in that regard. Maybe your device was defective?

Jeff Au

I uses two mouse with my SP3 - the Microsoft Wedge Surface mouse that came with the machine as a bundle. It's a little too small, useable but ergonomics can be better... so I now keep this in my travel case... for those times when I forgot to bring along a regular mouse with my SP3.

I now use the Logitech BT M557 as my regular mouse when I'm on my desk. It works very well. Logitech stuff just works. :p

enthuz

I just received my MS BT Arc Touch Mouse, and I have to agree with others about the ergonomics. It's a nice mouse the more I use it, but all day use may cause wrist strain. The portability is amazing. Tracking is very good. No issues so far. The app is very plain, but I'm not sure what else could be added. Someone mentioned the forward/back buttons are missing. I have mice with those and have never used them. You can reprogram the center button(s) via the app though. The mouse can be found for around $45 for the latest version.

steelpastor

After using this mouse for a period of time... I have a few thoughts.

1. LOVE the low profile storage.
2. I would pay DOUBLE if this same mouse came with an actual scroll wheel (rather that the touch).
3. I would pay TRIPLE to have forward/backward buttons.

Just my two cents.

kundas1

yea wait, the scroll button will stop working and you will have to constantly turn off then on to make it work... but I do luv the design on how it goes flat to carry in my bag...