What's new

Is the New Surface Pro 4 entry level up to the job

Psionguyary12

I have just purchased the newSurface Pro 2017 m3, and have concerns that it is too under powered to run Windows 10. I only need it for light use, web surfing, video streaming etc. Simple tasks like software updates and disk Clean-up function seems to take an age to complete, which my old laptop would complete in minutes. I have had Microsoft support check it over and they seem happy with it. Has anyone else with this model experienced these issue, any views would be very welcome.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hardware is more than enough for running windows 10. Even an atom processor can run it without much of a problem.

OP
P

Psionguyary12

The hardware is more than enough for running windows 10. Even an atom processor can run it without much of a problem.
Thanks for the response, why does it take so long for such basic jobs, like disk -clean up , and software updates, have never experience this with my other W10 computers?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the response, why does it take so long for such basic jobs, like disk -clean up , and software updates, have never experience this with my other W10 computers?
IMO these are problems with the individual services... Cleanup and Win Update. Certainly Windows Update can be and is known to be inordinately slow at times. My impression from casually watching it is it makes a list, checks it twice, looses it's place, starts over, crosschecks, double-checks, and rechecks. It doesn't always do all of this but will on occasion and it's maddening. Usually once it works through all of its consternations it will behave more normally but certain things can trigger it and then it's doing it all over again. I suspect cleanup has some of the same thought processes behind it especially if you're doing system files and update files.

There should be an I/O load tracker... Windows Update would probably get charged with 90% of your disk utilization.

Yes, an m3-7y30 should do your intended tasks well.

OP
P

Psionguyary12

IMO these are problems with the individual services... Cleanup and Win Update. Certainly Windows Update can be and is known to be inordinately slow at times. My impression from casually watching it is it makes a list, checks it twice, looses it's place, starts over, crosschecks, double-checks, and rechecks. It doesn't always do all of this but will on occasion and it's maddening. Usually once it works through all of its consternations it will behave more normally but certain things can trigger it and then it's doing it all over again. I suspect cleanup has some of the same thought processes behind it especially if you're doing system files and update files.

There should be an I/O load tracker... Windows Update would probably get charged with 90% of your disk utilization.

Yes, an m3-7y30 should do your intended tasks well.

Many thanks, I do love this device, fantastic quality, was just a little concerned on its capabilities. One other question you could help me with is the pen, do all variants of surface pens work on any model, or is the pen needed for 2017 unique to the model?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many thanks, I do love this device, fantastic quality, was just a little concerned on its capabilities. One other question you could help me with is the pen, do all variants of surface pens work on any model, or is the pen needed for 2017 unique to the model?

So long as the pen uses n-trig then it will work (so if a microsoft pen, only those from the SP3 and onwards).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The pens will work on any model but to get all the advertised features you need the latest one. i.e. 4096 levels only is with the new pen. Tilt, only with the new pen. Lowest latency only with the new pen.

feduchin

I have just purchased the newSurface Pro 2017 m3, and have concerns that it is too under powered to run Windows 10. I only need it for light use, web surfing, video streaming etc. Simple tasks like software updates and disk Clean-up function seems to take an age to complete, which my old laptop would complete in minutes. I have had Microsoft support check it over and they seem happy with it. Has anyone else with this model experienced these issue, any views would be very welcome.
I run a Surface Pro 3 with the i5 processor, which is quite good.
Yours is similar to an i3, which I used in the past, and was also pretty good. The m3, a later processor, is developed because of persistent over-heating problems. Consequently it's a tiny bit slower, but one should hardly notice. It will DEFINITELY run Windows 10, as they're made for each other!
PART of the problem with the Pro 3 and 4 series was they were virtually impossible to get into and repair, because the screen, once disturbed, nearly always breaks up! And those screens are almost impossible to replace!
THAT means that if your Pro seriously overheats, then you cannot sell the item as it's possible permanently damaged: SO you completely lose all value in your investment!
Note: MS do not replace Pro 3s or 4s unless they are still in warranty..
SO Microsoft NOW admits their mistake by issuing a 'cooler' unit, the Pro with the m3 or m5..
Which is BLOODY FINE for some, but not for me as my unit might be on the way out! And instead of selling it for an average $300-$400 used price, I GET NOTHING! It pays to check in future:
CAN MY UNIT BE INVESTIGATED AND REPAIRED BY THE LOCAL COMPUTER WORKSHOP: IF NOT, DON'T BUY IT !!!
So, again, your unit is OK. Have fun.

^ Unless you defeat thermal throttling schemes implemented in the BIOS/UEFI, there's is no way your Pro 3 or 4 would meltdown. The only way I see them fail is that that the battery is constantly subjected to excessive heat from the heatsinks (especially with SP4 and the SP) and that will cause premature battery expansion, causing the screen to crack and break.

IMG_6063.JPG

VDTdbVjtAogP5F2B

Last edited: