What's new

Is the SP3 Type Cover a Bluetooth keyboard?

phositadc

How does the SP3 Type Cover actually communicate with the SP3? Is it via Bluetooth?

The pen requires Bluetooth, correct?

So even if the keyboard is not Bluetooth, people generally leave Bluetooth permanently enabled on an SP3, I assume?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above. For all intents and purposes just consider it a usb keyboard.

And as you say, bluetooth just gets left enabled by most as it's rather key in the whole pen experience. I've no idea on what implications it has on battery though. I'm the user who only turns bluetooth on when it's needed, never, so this will be a new one for me.

bluegrass

The Microsoft SP3 type cover keyboard is a wired keyboard, directly connected to the SP3 & not a Bluetooth as the new SP3 pen is. You need to pair the pen and keep the Bluetooth enabled if you plan to use the pen.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Microsoft SP3 type cover keyboard is a wired keyboard, directly connected to the SP3 & not a Bluetooth as the new SP3 pen is. You need to pair the pen and keep the Bluetooth enabled if you plan to use the pen.
I have Bluetooth disabled and my pen works.

OP
P

phositadc

Cool, thanks for all the replies. Didn't even realize the magnet connectors could serve as a connectivity medium. Pretty cool.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
They don't Just like the power cable, the magnets simply pull the connectors into the correct place. There are still metal contacts that must meet up.

And the pen does work without bluetooth, but not the click top. Maybe not a deal breaker, but a very handy feature i'd rather not lose.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool, thanks for all the replies. Didn't even realize the magnet connectors could serve as a connectivity medium. Pretty cool.
Those gold pins are the connection the magnets are in the black bar on either side.

Get something metal that's magnetic and drag across the black strip... there are several magnets on each side of the connector. um... don't use your credit card :)