What's new

Is the USB port able to power a USB monitor?

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

with the Y cable we are able to let it work, you will see that those Y cable are not pratical, so you need additional extention to put far from your desk or monitors the power supply, wall socket etc etc

mtalinm

with the Y cable we are able to let it work, you will see that those Y cable are not pratical, so you need additional extention to put far from your desk or monitors the power supply, wall socket etc etc
seems solvable though with extension cords (whether power or USB). i was worried i couldn't use it at all.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

no we powered it, and it work perfectly... but I have to find the extension cords now and/or a micro usb (from monitor asus) Y cable, so I can even eliminate one node.

Bandito

There seems to be an issue with the USB port on the SP3 not actually meeting the USB3 specification for power delivery. It is so underpowered that it will not run many optical disc drives as well, which means that it is not meeting the lower specification for USB2, either.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

Hi, I need help to find the perfect Y cable to just limit the use of 1 cable to power my asus M168B+ full hd monitor that require 5w.

At the moment I have to use the micro usb cable of the monitor plugged to an Y cable, problem is that Y cable have the USB cable too short (may be 10 cm or 1 feet), so I need to buy an extension 2 meters long and I found it.

Solution should me a Y cable with micro usb long like max 3 feet/0.30 cm and the USB cable for the power long 2 meters/6.5 feet.

For now I found in amazon only a 35/0.3 feet Y cable that can let me have so a short cable from the monitor to the Sp3 but still require as I said the extension, I would like to know if you think that exist and I should continue to look for it, or unique solution is to use the extension! thank you again.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

1.jpg

I had an idea thanks to another post of an user,
I could find this power cord long let's say 2 meters, because I need it UK/EU however... so I need to buy it, and then I can use the 35 cm micro usb Y cable that is perfect... I will just have the power adaptor behing the Sp3 and Monitor but may be it is better than have it on the floor. May be this is the unique solution because I have not found Y cables with one side long 2 meters...... are all quite short.

surfdock

View attachment 4056
I had an idea thanks to another post of an user,
I could find this power cord long let's say 2 meters, because I need it UK/EU however... so I need to buy it, and then I can use the 35 cm micro usb Y cable that is perfect... I will just have the power adaptor behing the Sp3 and Monitor but may be it is better than have it on the floor. May be this is the unique solution because I have not found Y cables with one side long 2 meters...... are all quite short.

In the USA you can use a universal "figure 8" accessory power cord like this:
http://www.amazon.com/standard-compatible-Replacement-Electronic-Figure-8/dp/B0058FN6V2

For UK maybe this would work?
http://www.amazon.com/Tattoo-Machine-Supply-Figure-8-Connector/dp/B00IK23HNW

For EU
http://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Compatible-Multi-system-Replacement-Electronic/dp/B00BR8EDC0

Look for a power cable that is compatible with Sony PS2/PS3 consoles. Electric shaver cords probably won't work because they don't have the proper figure-8 shape.