What's new

Is there a way to charge in conservation mode?

markjr84

Hi all,

I would like to have the SP4 as my work computer connected to the Toshiba Dynadock docking station.

This set up worked really well with my Lenovo.

The problem with working like this is the SP4 will be plugged into power for long periods of time and I am worried about my battery.

My Lenovo has a program called Energy Manager which allows me to activate "Conservation Mode", basically keeping the battery at 55%-60% in order to keep it healthy.

I was wondering, is there anything like this for the SP4?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is fine to work in this mode - Microsoft recommends that at least once of month run the battery down below 10%....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
My sp4 is plugged in the vast majority of the time. The most recent battery report and personal experience using it on battery suggest that it is not proving detrimental in any way. Still getting just shy of 10 hours despite using it like this since launch, and I can't recall the last time I ran the battery down to zero.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I leave my Surface Book computers plugged in continuously, but run the batteries down about every 3 weeks. Battery life healthy.

OP
M

markjr84

Wow thanks for the great response!

No need to worry about the battery then. I'm usually take pretty good care of batteries these days anyway, as experience with batteries in the past has been far from good, so this is good to know.