What's new

Is there an imovie alternative that's great on a surface?

johnj2803

I'm an avid photographer and dabbling in vedeography. Most of my work are for family.

I love my mac for aperture and imovie. I have used lightroom before so that's my PC replacement but haven't really seen a good alternative for imovie.

Workflow for me is shoot in raw and edit in aperture. Open imovie do sideshows of pictures and add the video files there as well. Since they are integrated very well together, I don't need to export the edited raw file in order to use in imovie. So no excess files.

Now with lightroom I'm thinking I still might have to export the edited file in order for me to use it in the imovie replacement program. Am I right?

I'm trying to go surface all the way. And this is the only time I use my mac for. I have an ivy bridge i7 macbook pro. I have an i3 surface which obviously will have to be replaced with a better one if I will be migrating fully to Windows.

Any input to my fellow enthusiasts would he greatly appreciated!

Maximus3D

You cannot escape the fact that you have to export your photos from Lightroom in order to use them in any other application, even if you would use Lightroom on a Mac the same rule applies.

However once you are finished, delete your exported photos and the problem is solved.

/ Magnus

OP
J

johnj2803

Thanks for the reply. I guess that part I have to compromise and I can live with that compromise.

I know it was listed in the second reply about the alternatives but would love to hear personal experiences with these apps.

Maximus3D

I really don't create these slideshow type movies often as i have a online portfolio/gallery with builtin slideshow feature (Zenfolio) where my clients can view my photos in fullscreen.

However if necessary then i can use something like Picasa which is free, it's easy to drop a few photos in there and have it generate a simple slideshow movie and directly upload that to Youtube for store it locally.

If i need a more professionally edited movie i use Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas.

/ Magnus