Is this amount of battery wear a lot for just 12 cycles?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Book' started by macmee, Aug 11, 2018.

1. macmee

macmee Active Member

Sometimes my SB2 wont charge, and I'm trying to figure out of the problem is that the battery is faulty:

https://i.imgur.com/nusrlue.png

It looks like I've had 12 charge cycles but the battery has worn 8%. The device is maybe 4 months old.

2. macmee

macmee Active Member

3. chekhonte

chekhonte Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    A bit on battery one but your main battery is currently better than it's design capacity.

[​IMG]

4. chekhonte

chekhonte Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Did the previous one this morning. Did another one now and it's giving very different numbers. I wouldn't sweat it. However SB2 is determining capacity isn't very accurate.

5. macmee

macmee Active Member

Yeah I don't know :( I took it in to the MS store though anyway since I was having a lot of trouble getting it to charge. They ran a diagnostic tool on it and it failed the one related to power/battery or something.

I take impeccable care of my electronics and I can't think of what I did (if anything) to cause the unit not to charge, or the battery to wear out so quickly. They gave me a replacement unit since I was within a year of purchasing (thankfully) and I'm hoping to have better luck with this one.

The annoying thing to me is, what if it stopped being able to charge 1 year after buying it? Would I have lost $3,500?

6. chekhonte

chekhonte Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Mine fails that too diagnostic too. Ug, perhaps I should take it to the MS store. I don't know why I'm complaining, the Seattle store has always been a good experience for me.

EDIT: noticed a bit of discoloration, presumably oxidation on one of the pin on the charging cable. Scraped it and it passes.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  7. efinimazda

efinimazda Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Don't worry, they would gladly offer you $400 or so for the device to use toward a newer device lol... That's what I was quoted when inquiring about replacing/upgrading my Performance Base i7 16GB to a Book 2, ugh, no thanks! Glad I opted for the complete warranty so I have an extra year to replace/upgrade the device when it acts up.