What's new

Is Windows Defender Enough

MickeyLittle

Mods Please Move if necessary.

I have the SP 6 and Windows 10 and am just running Windows Defender 10. I know there are a lot of settings I can do router wise and on my Surface but I'm asking if Windows Defender is enough or do I need an add on like Malware Bytes or a different solution altogether? I also realize this maybe a foolish question like asking what is better between Ford or Chevy and that is not my intent here.

Tom Gullette

It has been for me. I am fortunate to also have a Malwarebytes lifetime subscription I was able to move from an older laptop. Used to run Avira or AVG but have been happy with MS's Defender for Windows 10 for over a year.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Thanks Tom so it has been for you but you have it running in conjunction with Malware Bytes. See that's what I'm trying to figure out, should I add that to the mix or not?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have MalwareBytes lifetime. I don’t find it to be much extra protection than I get from Defender.

So I have disabled it for long periods several times, then did a full scan. No infections.

I keep it disabled now, and use Windows 10 Defender exclusively.

Tom Gullette

Thanks Tom so it has been for you but you have it running in conjunction with Malware Bytes. See that's what I'm trying to figure out, should I add that to the mix or not?

Yes, I do run both concurrently and have never had either find an infection however as indicated earlier MalwareBytes will occasionally say it's blocked a browser hijack attempt. Not sure if that's real or maybe a false positive since it's not active on some of my other machines and I've never had my browser hijacked on them or had a manual scan find any problems as Sharpuser said.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Thanks again Tom I came here earlier today with questions and had spent about 30 minutes searching YouTube videos trying to find answers but only opinions. And like normal it didn't take long to get the info I needed so I could make a decision for myself.

Turbo4AWD

I run both, but only Windows Defender runs actively in the background. I only use Malwarebytes to scan every once in a while or when I need to remove an infection that Windows Defender could not.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I run both, but only Windows Defender runs actively in the background. I only use Malwarebytes to scan every once in a while or when I need to remove an infection that Windows Defender could not.

So do you get infections that Windows Defender misses? That's one of its main purposes is to stop any virus before it gets in the front or back door!