What's new

Issue with OneNote (free version)

WorldIRC

Hi Guys,

On my SP2, I often used the free OneNote software for taking notes at clients. Never did I have an issue with accidentally changing pages when my pen was on the tablet.

With the SP3, I'm noticing that when the stylus is in use, I am often still changing notes by accident.

Am I doing something wrong? It's really annoying.

mcsenerd

Metro version or Desktop? Perhaps you are inadvertently hitting the top button on the pen and therefore generating new pages accidentally?

OP
W

WorldIRC

Metro version or Desktop? Perhaps you are inadvertently hitting the top button on the pen and therefore generating new pages accidentally?

Metro version. Not creating new tabs. My hand (while writing) is tapping other prior notes and thus opening those up. I thought palm detection was supposed to prevent this...

mcsenerd

Hmmm... I avoid the Metro version like the plague and I don't seem to have that same issue on the desktop version. Wish I could help more :(

ipaq_101

Hmmm... I avoid the Metro version like the plague and I don't seem to have that same issue on the desktop version. Wish I could help more :(

I just discovered there was a desktop version yesterday and I have to agree. There is so much more functionality and options in the desktop version that it makes the metro version looking like MS paint.

mcsenerd

You can download the desktop version for free at www.OneNote.com but you might want to follow the "Windows" link in the "Get OneNote for free on all your devices" section and then choose "Other Download Options" to download the 64-Bit version if you already have other 64-Bit Office programs installed.

chrsb

under "tablet pc settings" you can specify which hand you write with so the menus appear to the right or left, not sure if it applies the onenote. Might help with hitting the menus

OP
W

WorldIRC

Desktop app works much better BTW - and the menu is on the right so as a lefty, I won't hit it as often.

Last edited:

Nonseven

I have both the metro version and full version on my desktop. I have the desktop version set to use the pen as a pointer (not automatically inking) and I use the metro version when I want to use ink. So I think there is a place for both.