What's new

Issue with wake when connecting or disconnecting power.

CaddyJ

I just got an i7 SP4 and am having an odd issue. If I have the power adapter connected to the SP4, remove it, and then try to turn the device on it will just sit at a black screen. The keyboard lights come on, but it won't wake up - I have to hold the power button for 30 seconds to reboot it. The same thing happens if the screen is off and I connect power. I've had it happen after a long wait, when it's in hibernate, and also after just a few minutes (before hibernate kicks in). If I turn the screen on prior to removing or attaching the power adapter it works fine. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a known fix? I haven't been able to find anything online.

jbowden

I have i7 SP4 and have the same issue. View Reliability history show hardware error. I do not think there is a fix for this.

plumpton

I have this too and have found that I can get logged in by pressing the power button to turn it off for a few seconds and then turning it on a 2nd time. Don't think you need to hold the power button down to force the device to power down.

OP
C

CaddyJ

Thanks for the replies, glad to know I'm not alone (and, as a result, that maybe Microsoft will be fixing this with an update). I have tried pressing the power button multiple times but that doesn't make a difference. I can see the lamp for the screen turn on, it just doesn't display anything unless I do a reboot. I'm wondering if it's a video driver crash. The system does play a sound, it may be the "hardware removed" sound, when this happens. I'm going to check the reliability history log like jbowden suggested and see if I have a hardware error - didn't think of that.

OP
C

CaddyJ

After checking the logs I did find an error around the time it happened. First, I received an error stating the igfx video driver stopped responding, though it supposedly recovered. Then I received an error stating an attempt to configure the input mode of a multitouch device failed (which I'm assuming is the screen). So, it appears this is a video driver crash. I know Microsoft recently released an updated firmware for i7 SP4's to fix a freeze problem due to the video driver (which I have installed)... seems they have a little more work to do on it. Hope they get it fixed.

leeshor

It really seems that it's Intel who is foot dragging on the video driver issue. I've actually seen it on some desktops using the integrated Intel video.

OP
C

CaddyJ

Agreed: I had heard that too; not Microsoft's fault. I guess it's one of the prices we pay for early adoption on the new i7's.