What's new

It was a good run...

Plantje

Sorry, but anyone can write a story like that. In fact basically everything it says there has been stated here as well.
Still hoping for a nice Surface 4 though!

bronsky

Sorry, but anyone can write a story like that. ...

Yea ... the article was generally nonsense. Particularly the speculation that a new S4 might have an option for a U series CPU. What? The author obviously never owned an S3. Of Course, I would love to see a Surface 4 to replace my 3 sometime later this year. Core M and full speed SSD. Pixelsense controller and updated keyboard like the SP4.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So it achieves a max 56% improvement at burst frequency while actively cooled but the T5700/5500 is a package that is tagged for the "embedded market" and is in fact the CPU in the newly released Joule IoT developer boards. The graph shows TDP values of about 0.7W to 2.5W although there's nothing we can glean from the performance at this power level as it's reported as a relative measure.

I assume the packaging and build parameters/limiting factors would prevent this from operating in the 2-7W range necessary for proper Tablet performance level.

IF the result is consistent it looks better than I expected from Goldmont and yet to have kept pace with ARM SoCs the hypothetical X7 Goldmont SoC would need to increase performance 2x-3x not 1.5x and at that level in the 3-6W power envelope it is in the Core m range which would have made it redundant.

They certainly couldn't sell two chips with the same relative performance at significantly different prices. However they won't be able to continue the same pricing for core m simply because they killed off the lower priced part.

jrioux

...They certainly couldn't sell two chips with the same relative performance at significantly different prices. However they won't be able to continue the same pricing for core m simply because they killed off the lower priced part.
They still have the new Celeron and Pentium CPUs. Shouldn't it be as easy to adapt Celerons and Pentiums to the Surface 4 as it is to use Core i CPUs in the SP line? Liquid cooling has allowed Core i CPUs to be used without fans.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
They still have the new Celeron and Pentium CPUs. Shouldn't it be as easy to adapt Celerons and Pentiums to the Surface 4 as it is to use Core i CPUs in the SP line? Liquid cooling has allowed Core i CPUs to be used without fans.
Bottom line is: the new Pentium & Celerons have a higher power draw than core m. Less performance than core m, shorter battery life than core m, more expensive than the Atom X7. They would need to include the extra cooling technology driving up engineering and manufacturing costs. IMO it's a tough sell. I suppose someone will try it... maybe ... we will see. Based on what I know now, I wouldn't do it.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Well, something must be up because I just checked the Best Buy stores near me and none have a Surface 3 Type Cover available for sale. Also, all of the Surface 3's are gone too. I think they're phasing it out and replacing it with the slowest model Surface Pro 4.....thankfully I was able to get a brand new type cover off of Amazon for real cheap.

Plantje

Still a pity. If you want a 8-11" Windows tablet you can go for Dell, cheap Acer or Asus or Chinese options (Chuwi, Teclast etc)
I'm still hoping for a 10.something " variant of the Galaxy Tab S Pro

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still a pity. If you want a 8-11" Windows tablet you can go for Dell, cheap Acer or Asus or Chinese options (Chuwi, Teclast etc)
I'm still hoping for a 10.something " variant of the Galaxy Tab S Pro
Dell was the only one with a similar sized model as the Surface 3 and that hasn't been updated in a while, everything else is 10.1. Maybe someone will fill the gap especially now that Apple is coming out with a 10.5 model.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I submit this as proof that killing the 10.8 size is/(would be) a mistake.
--------------------
Apple will launch a trio of new iPad Pro models in March, including refreshed 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch versions and an all-new bezel-free 10.9-inch model, according to Barclays Research analysts Blayne Curtis, Christopher Hemmelgarn, Thomas O'Malley, and Jerry Zhang, citing sources within the company's Asian supply chain.

ipad_lineup_2016_sides.jpg

In a research note obtained by MacRumors, the analysts said the 10.9-inch model's borderless design will allow for it to be the same physical size as the current-generation 9.7-inch iPad Pro. That means the display itself will need to have an edge-to-edge design, possibly signaling the removal of the Home button.

Multiple rumors have claimed Apple is developing a new iPad in the 10-inch range, but the exact screen size has varied in each report.
-----------------

With Apple 's new focus on business customers it's no surprise to me they are making a 10.x inch model. IMO it's the sweet spot for productive portability, big enough to sport a normal sized keyboard, more useable screen size than a 9.7 model.

It should be noted the performance of the A10X chip will be in the core m range, far exceeding any Atom SoC. performance wise it's "good enough" for the majority of business workload use cases.