What's new

Its Here!!!

Telstar1948

Curious about something on the various docks I'm seeing, including the Surface dock from MS—what is the purpose of having a USB3 port or so coupled with several USB2 ports? USB3 is backwards compatible so are they merely saving $3 by using USB2 ports?

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So we now have the 3 Surface 2's as well and as much as like the SP2, the S2 its just some much more fun to use. SP2 = Work/S2 = My personal/ultra mobile solution

demandarin

So we now have the 3 Surface 2's as well and as much as like the SP2, the S2 its just some much more fun to use. SP2 = Work/S2 = My personal/ultra mobile solution

I'm already assuming your response, but do you think a surface 2 would supplement my pro1 well? I was also thinking of new dell venue pro 8..the 8in. Full windows bay trail.... but now that Nokia announced the Lumia 1520, the 6in. Full HD windows phone 8 with snapdragon 800, I'm definitely getting that to replace my 5.5in. Lg Optimus g pro, which is a great phone btw. So I really won't need the venue pro8...

I can't lie, I want a pro2 bad, but its very expensive. I can get it but still. If I opt for the surface2, ill already know its limitations of not being able to install x86apps. From the looks of it, this next question I will ask seems like a yes. But does sirface2 really live up to the hype and is light years faster than my64gb RT? Honest answer as I might base my purchase off of your reply. But my pro runs great. I'm suffering from wanting the latest in greatest. At least if I go with the sirface2, ill be saving alot vs. Getting a new pro2. Then id have a pro1, pro2, rt 64gb, galaxy note 10.1, and a nexus 7, and Ipad(my daughters.gave it to her). Which ever id choose I will be trading in my android tablet for credit towards it. So I won't be paying full price....

Damn, these new tech devices are enticing me...I even like the new Lumia 2520 rt tablet...but surface 2 looks way better and premium build material but the Lumia has snapdragon 800 and more connectivity options. I wonder how MS is feeling about new Nokia tablet. As it does look good.

Last edited:

oion

I think I still hate you.

I'm on vacation, to boot. *keeps staring out window for truck to pull up*

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm already assuming your response, but do you think a surface 2 would supplement my pro1 well? I was also thinking of new dell venue pro 8..the 8in. Full windows bay trail.... but now that Nokia announced the Lumia 1520, the 6in. Full HD windows phone 8 with snapdragon 800, I'm definitely getting that to replace my 5.5in. Lg Optimus g pro, which is a great phone btw. So I really won't need the venue pro8...

I can't lie, I want a pro2 bad, but its very expensive. I can get it but still. If I opt for the surface2, ill already know its limitations of not being able to install x86apps. From the looks of it, this next question I will ask seems like a yes. But does sirface2 really live up to the hype and is light years faster than my64gb RT? Honest answer as I might base my purchase off of your reply. But my pro runs great. I'm suffering from wanting the latest in greatest. At least if I go with the sirface2, ill be saving alot vs. Getting a new pro2. Then id have a pro1, pro2, rt 64gb, galaxy note 10.1, and a nexus 7, and Ipad(my daughters.gave it to her). Which ever id choose I will be trading in my android tablet for credit towards it. So I won't be paying full price....

Damn, these new tech devices are enticing me...I even like the new Lumia 2520 rt tablet...but surface 2 looks way better and premium build material but the Lumia has snapdragon 800 and more connectivity options. I wonder how MS is feeling about new Nokia tablet. As it does look good.

To Quote Paul T. sure you can get a Baytrail Device and load all of your legacy software on it and it will run, but it will run like crap ;)

I think the Surface 2 is a great personal tablet with productivity and if you are Microsoft Shop using FIM it becomes an even better mobile solution for your sales and executives, using Virtual Smart Cards for VPN and Outlook.

After using the SP2 as a tablet on the couch last night it feels heavy to use for couch surfing, works great has an Ultrabook and a Tablet on a lap desk to annotate or take notes, done plenty of that in the last 24 hours. But the Surface 2 just feels great in your hands and is so freak'n fast and responsive :)

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just to be clear though:

One SP2 for me for work and S2 for personal machine
One SP2 for my wife for Grad School replacing her Ultrabook and S2 to replace her Kindle (the role the RT had)
One SP2 for my son to replace his desktop and S2 to take to school and for fun

Deryl McCarty

Got mine at 1445 - but had a meeting so used the SP 128 for that (One Note gets a workout at these meetings). I just opened the box (rather quickly) and stuck it on charge without turning it on. What great discipline...or foolishness. Am back and have set up the SP 2 256 with the initial Office 2013 and loaded in the Skype and Skydrive stuff that came with the box. No problem. Then I went to register the machine by serial number but no go. The site only accepts Surface Pro, RT or accessories (KB, etc). Jeff, you may want to let your friends on the campus know they have a minor update to apply to the equipment registration website now that its the 22nd. It does show my SP 128 registered SN, but I don't want to deregister until I can register my new baby.

I think my SP2 is noticeably faster. However, whatever Panos may say about the color enhancements, I just don't see it. I know my eyes are old, but they have never failed a color test. The screen is as beautiful as ever but I see no discernable difference between the two screens side by side. It could be a guy thing.