What's new

Just ordered a Lumia 950.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a lumia 930 which I love, but have been thinking of updating to the 950 for a few reasons, such as expandable storage, 4k video and strangely the biggest reason is glance display (which the 930 doesn't do!!) I only realised I wanted this after seeing my husband's 640XL....lol

I was on the fence a bit with getting another windows phone. I love the OS and the interface but the apps are a let down and I'm still a bit wary of win 10 phone after reports of bugs, however I couldn't imagine going back to android or onto the iOS platform so I bit the bullet and bought a 950... it's refurb unit so a bit cheaper than average.

Looking forward to getting it... :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ahh Moonie you have such loyalty, it's admirable. ;)

I used to use a phone for a few things but since getting a tablet I use the phone a lot less. Yes, I'm bucking the trend here... or just ahead of the curve.

To me, there are some basic functions a phone should have and beyond that Id rather use a larger screen device. The idea that you can connect to any monitor anywhere as needed is a decade off if the stars align but may never materialize as a practical feasibility. If you have to carry your own monitor and accessories (keyboard etc) it's not feasibly practical. If I had a choice Id rather have a device that would last a week or month (maybe even a year) on battery that I could use for those few essential functions and forget all the rest. That would be a differentiating choice.

For personal use Apps are ok but for business use the whole BYOD App model breaks down because you have to support multiple platforms with multiple apps that do the same thing. Web Apps would be easier to update and maintain and ideally one version works on any device but you at least limit the extra work to functions that need to be unique instead of the whole App. Universal Apps should not be Windows specific, they should be cross platform and run the same anywhere. Instead of building an iOS App, Android App, Windows App, etc. etc. you build one App web or non-web. Maybe in another 3-5 years we will get there and this whole App insanity will subside (not if Apple has their way though).

In the meantime the Windows phone system is in limbo artificially supported by MS at a loss hoping for some sea change event to occur for the pendulum to swing back in the other direction.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well not that loyal. I do have a Mac remember... (but it reminds me why I like windows ha ha !!)

The phone was a tough decision but Android is just too messy as an OS for me and I love the WP live tiles - a great balance of looking nice and also displaying relevant information which frankly neither other OS quite matches for me iOS as it just doesn't really display info and Android because the widgets look a mess .

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above I wasn't too sure about getting this phone. However I now have about 24 hours use on it and I have to say I'm really impressed with windows 10 on this phone. There's so many nice touches over the Win8 phone interface and it generally looks better with the more customisable translucent live tiles and the slight UI changes that make it look sharper and sleeker (no more enormous fonts for the titles of stuff). Also I love the Outlook app for calendar and email .... SO much better than the former mail apps. Even the facebook app is better.

Unfortunately my banking app won't run at all... says it's compatible, shows me a glimpse of front page then crashes out every time.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate to say it but 4 months later I've bought an Android phone again - 2 years since I went to Windows phone. While I loved the Lumia for it's superb screen and camera, and I even liked Windows 10 I just hit the last straw with the apps when I recently travelled and found I couldn't use any of the apps that I wanted to make my travelling a little more convenient (things like the airline app for boarding passes etc).

It is a shame, but you can't say I didn't give it a good run as I managed 2 years with Windows phone but I just couldnt' see the app situation improving, and in fact with windows 10 the app situation actually became worse for me - banking app was especially missed plus no updates for some other apps I enjoyed using. It was just the last straw.

So I now have a good condition Lumia 950 with Mozo back cover, and tempered glass screen protector for sale...

I went to a Wileyfox Swift - a £120 smartphone running Cyanogen Mod OS, while the hardware isnt' up there with the Lumia 950 of course due to the relative costs, it's a very good phone for the money, and I'm enjoying the relative app freedom and not feeling like I'm out of the loop all the time. .. sorry MSFT, but I just couldn't keep up the fangirl-ness any more for the Windows Phone....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate to say it but 4 months later I've bought an Android phone again - 2 years since I went to Windows phone. While I loved the Lumia for it's superb screen and camera, and I even liked Windows 10 I just hit the last straw with the apps when I recently travelled and found I couldn't use any of the apps that I wanted to make my travelling a little more convenient (things like the airline app for boarding passes etc).

It is a shame, but you can't say I didn't give it a good run as I managed 2 years with Windows phone but I just couldnt' see the app situation improving, and in fact with windows 10 the app situation actually became worse for me - banking app was especially missed plus no updates for some other apps I enjoyed using. It was just the last straw.

So I now have a good condition Lumia 950 with Mozo back cover, and tempered glass screen protector for sale...

I went to a Wileyfox Swift - a £120 smartphone running Cyanogen Mod OS, while the hardware isnt' up there with the Lumia 950 of course due to the relative costs, it's a very good phone for the money, and I'm enjoying the relative app freedom and not feeling like I'm out of the loop all the time. .. sorry MSFT, but I just couldn't keep up the fangirl-ness any more for the Windows Phone....
WileyFox ... haha it should have been WileyCoyote :) meep meep