What's new

Just purchased S3

MR21215

Hello All!

Just purchased the $499 model of the S3. While I think the device is great I should have spent the extra $100 for the $599 model for more RAM. Luckily for me I have 14 days to exchange it and that's what I'm planning on doing!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Mr twoonetwoonefive

I think you're right to do that. I bought the 4gb model and even on that i have to admit i find it rather sluggish at times.

OP
M

MR21215

The place where I bought it has a SP3 i3 64g for the price of the $599 S3 model so I'm torn on which way I want to go.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The place where I bought it has a SP3 i3 64g for the price of the $599 S3 model so I'm torn on which way I want to go.

You'll have to weigh up your usage needs carefully on that one. If you are after a production machine, i'd personally go for the SP3 for the bigger screen, speed, SSD, kickstand (pen is included in price). However the tradeoff is that it does have a fan which when given a reason to kick up, it pretty darn loud imo, and it is also much larger than the S3. I have both and while i originally thought the SP3 fine as a tablet, once i got the S3 i realised just how big the SP3 is. For tablet use, the S3 is brilliant (although i would love for the SP3 kickstand on it). Because of the micro sd slot and usb 3.0 port, the size of the onboard storage has never really been that much of an issue for me and i'm sure i could get away with 64gb (especially now i have a 1tb usb hdd)

You've a tough choice to make. I don't envy you.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Mr twoonetwoonefive

I think you're right to do that. I bought the 4gb model and even on that i have to admit i find it rather sluggish at times.
After some update I have noticed some sluggishness but I believe its a wireless issue that momentarily hangs everything.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
After some update I have noticed some sluggishness but I believe its a wireless issue that momentarily hangs everything.

I find mine a bit lagyg across the board, but that is largely just because i'm coming from an SP3 to an S3 so it is understandable that i'd notice it. But you are right about the wireless I think, plays hell with my browsing, i close a tab with ctrl+w, nothing happens for 5 seconds, so then i click the cross to close the tab, only it suddenly closes and the click closes the tabe i wanted kept open, or a webpage will just hang unresponsive until every last bit of code has been loaded. Didn't do myself many favours by sticking windows 10 on it though which has certainly made it even worse

OP
M

MR21215

I'm using the surface to run my business. Which I only need Internet and Outlook. I'm more than likely will get the S3 128 gig just for the speed of 4G of ram.