Solved KB3105210 Update Killed Windows Hello

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Book' started by markbyrn, Nov 8, 2015.

1. markbyrn

markbyrn New Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    So right after the subject Windows update installed this evening, Windows Hello completely failed and would not recognize me and 'improve recognition' failed as well; silently failed as it vainly tried to recognize a face. Rolling back the update fixed the problem - sigh-.

Anybody else have this issue and any advice for what should I do besides disabling automatic updates and using hide tool (already done).

2. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    When I updated to 10586 Thursday, 5 November 2015, Hello was broken until I finally did a full power off and reboot. I tried to re-register my face, as you did, before the reboot. Afterwards, everything was fine.

3. markbyrn

markbyrn New Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Thanks for the response. I had already tried your suggestion to power off and reboot; that didn't do the trick. But since you mentioned not having problems, I decided to try the update again but this time, I turned the Windows Hello feature off before I installed the update. After re-installing the update and turning Windows Hello back on, it worked.

4. flar

flar Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    FWIW, that update installed on my i7 SB a couple of days ago (11/5). I don't remember any Hello issues, but I have rebooted since then and presently Hello is working just fine for me...