What's new

keep getting calls from microsoft store support about my surface pro 3

Charlie B

This week I've been getting phone calls from a blocked number claiming to be from Microsoft store customer support and need to speak with me about my surface pro 3 i5 preorder from may. I have no idea what they really want as I don't answer unknown callers and have not called back. I've had my surface since day one. Has anyone else received these phone calls? Is it really Microsoft? and what do they want?

malberttoo

Did you actually preorder an i5? If so then, that just seems like such an incredible coincidence that someone would be trying to scam you. But now that I just said that, I'm gonna get egg on my face probably... Personally, I'd answer it.

OP
C

Charlie B

its very strange, i just checked my email that is also my Microsoft account name, not my Microsoft account contact email (I have many e-mails). And I found an e-mail from the same person, offering 20% discount on Microsoft complete (off the $150 price) because the option to get it when I preordered was not available at that time. Which may or may not be legitimate, but the guys e-mail address is.... @msstore.suth.com which looks quite suspicious. And from what I've read, Microsoft would never call me to try and sell me something. So it's kind of strange, not sure how someone would know my phone and email.

ipaq_101

I have gotten two calls, it always seems to go straight to voicemail. The caller says they are from the Microsoft store customer support team and then try to sell you a warranty, funny thing is that I already have the warranty. It looks like a scam.

I got a voicemail from Ashley tell me to call back 877-737-1083, funny thing is when you call the number the person on the recording sounds just like Ashley who left me the voicemail.

Stay away, this is surely a scam!

Update: Just called the real Microsoft Store support number and they said they never call customers and offer a warranty, they will only offer to sell you a warranty if you call for technical support, but they don't solicit sales.

Stay away from the number above.

Last edited:
OP
C

Charlie B

I have gotten two calls, it always seems to go straight to voicemail. The caller says they are from the Microsoft store customer support team and then try to sell you a warranty, funny thing is that I already have the warranty. It looks like a scam.

I got a voicemail from Ashley tell me to call back 877-737-1083, funny thing is when you call the number the person on the recording sounds just like Ashley who left me the voicemail.

Stay away, this is surely a scam!

Update: Just called the real Microsoft Store support number and they said they never call customers and offer a warranty, they will only offer to sell you a warranty if you call for technical support, but they don't solicit sales.

Stay away from the number above.

Thanks for confirming. It's just weird how they got our numbers and information. Makes me wonder what else they know.

DanL

Lots of hacking going on right now as far as passwords and personal information. It's definitely possible they could have a list of buyers and contact information.

BillJ

I got one of these calls, and I was planning on getting MS Complete anyway. The questions regarding payment were such that they could only have originated from MS itself. I chose to place an order, and I immediately got a receipt from MS and the order showed up in my history in the MS Store. I don't think this was a scam, but it probably does not come from MS customer service. I understand the online store is run by a subcontractor.

malberttoo

That "suth.com" email address is legit, looks like an outsourcing company that Microsoft uses, like Digital River.

impulse

I ordered my SP3 and so I proceeded to confirm the shipping date so I gave Microsoft Support a call and before the call ended she asked if I would be okay to her calling me about my order making sure its okay and to offer me the protection plan for the SP3. She did give me a call the other day after I received it under an unknown number and also left a voicemail, I later received an email so perhaps they want to discuss the order with you? Answering a phone call cannot hurt..

ipaq_101

Why would they keep calling me when I bought the extended warranty 5 weeks ago, shouldn't they have my current information if they work for MS?

In any case, it's up to you if you want to answer the call and buy it or it's just as easy to call yourself and buy the extended coverage if you are within the range and not wonder if it's legit or not.

Another odd thing I have found is all the calls go straight to voicemail, even when I have reception and am close to my phone, seems odd to me as there is no missed call, just a voicemail notification.