What's new

Keeping your SP3 always fast as day one

Claudio Cesare

Hi there.
Just ordered my i5 SP3 today and expect it next week.
I fell in love with it and sold all my devices to buy "the beast".
So, after the the magic....
SP3 is a proper Pc and with time gets slow, noisy ecc...... I can't think nothing else other to buy a 128GB micro sd where to store all the "garbage I have on my pc"

What do you gentlemen do to keep it fresh and super fast as day one?

Other question (in wrong section sorry...) Is office for surface more compact in terms of space respect the desktop one? If not, my Office 2013 could make the job?

Claudio

malberttoo

Hi there.
Just ordered my i5 SP3 today and expect it next week.
I fell in love with it and sold all my devices to buy "the beast".
So, after the the magic....
SP3 is a proper Pc and with time gets slow, noisy ecc...... I can't think nothing else other to buy a 128GB micro sd where to store all the "garbage I have on my pc"

What do you gentlemen do to keep it fresh and super fast as day one?

Other question (in wrong section sorry...) Is office for surface more compact in terms of space respect the desktop one? If not, my Office 2013 could make the job?

Claudio

Hi Claudio.

First I must take exception to you comment "with time gets slow, noisy ecc". My PC's, I allow very few things to run at start-up. Many things you install such as iTunes, Adobe Reader, on and on... all think they need to be running in the background, and THAT is the biggest culprit of what slows your computer down over time.

Office 2013 will work fine on your SP3, that's what I'm using. :cool:

OP
C

Claudio Cesare

Hi.
You keep "the beast" fast and fresh by only not keeping programs in background? Don't use cleaners, advance system care and whatever.
This is good news for me actually, I was afraid as all pc's with time speed was going to turn down.
Thanks mate.

P.S. I meant a micro sd in a usb adapter:)

malberttoo

Hi.
You keep "the beast" fast and fresh by only not keeping programs in background? Don't use cleaners, advance system care and whatever.
This is good news for me actually, I was afraid as all pc's with time speed was going to turn down.
Thanks mate.

P.S. I meant a micro sd in a usb adapter:)

Well I'm positive other folks are going to give you their regimens. Lots of smart folks on this forum. But YES, on some of my machines if I have been installing and uninstalling a lot of programs or apps, I do run CCleaner from time to time as a registry cleaner. Of course you want to run Disk Cleanup as well every so often, and recover some of your storage space.

Like you said though about your Micro SD, my main workstation PC, I live off of 2 external hard drives, and I like to reinstall Windows every 6 - 9 months, a year at the most. Sure it's a little bit of a hassle, but know where all my installers are for my apps, and all my "stuff" lives on those external drives, so I have to do very little backing up before I reinstall. When I do a reinstall I'm back in business in an hour usually.

mitchellvii

Advanced System Care has screwed up every PC I've used it on. Just makes things act funky. YMMV.

A far as keeping the screen clear, BestBuy sells a very nice screen cloth that has a terrycloth texture and is coated with something which attracts grease. One quick wipe with that and fingerprints disappear. One thing to keep in mind before wiping your screen. Keep a can of compressed air handy and give the screen a quick blast before wiping it. This will remove any grit that may be stuck as well. Also, give your wiping cloth a shake to make sure it has no grit embedded in it. And never ever touch your screen with dirty hands. For instance, if you've been working in the garden, don't come inside and touch your screen. Microscopic grit on your fingers will scratch.

Some people believe that a light coating of Rain-X on your screen has an oleophobic effect and prevents finger oils from sticking. A quick coat once a week does the trick. You have to polish it in pretty well as it is a bit cloudy at first. Word of caution, it will make your pen more slippery on the surface.

mitchellvii

Word of caution. NEVER place your full coffee cup (soda, Koolaid, etc.) next to the SP3. Place it on another desk or file cabinet completely. I don't care how careful you are, you WILL spill your coffee onto your keyboard one day. Not good. Better safe than sorry.

daniielrp

Advanced System Care has screwed up every PC I've used it on. Just makes things act funky. YMMV.

Mostly because it is fake crapware that bloats up your PC, install itself and probably a bunch of other spyware in the background whilst not giving you any of the 'performance' boost it claims.
Any software like this I would advise to stay a million miles away.

CCleaner is my one exception as it genuinely does help.

/rant

daniielrp

Now...Proper answer to the OP:

- Regularly check Task Manager or the startup tab in ccleaner to keep startup items and scheduled tasks to a minimum.
- Ensure you have plenty of free C drive space
- Reduce the amount of "add-ons" in programs such as IE, Chrome etc.
- If you aren't using a program or app, remove it.
- CCleaner file and reg clean
- Keep defender up to date/scanned regularly.