What's new

Keyboard choices

rborge

Traded in my Surface 2 and once I get the discount code, am going to order a S3. I had both a touch and type cover for my S2 and traded in the touch cover. Has anyone used the S2 type cover with the S3? If I don't reuse the Type 2 cover, it will go completely to waste. I also hate to buy the new cover if its really not necessary. Thx

Haven't used it, have been assured by a Microsoft employee it would work and am considering the same thing. wouldn't exactly cover screen.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It should work... oh wait I have one that I connected mid sentence and am using it to type this now and the track pad to correct a typeo. However, if you had two before it's the same since you can only use one at a time :)

The new Keyboard and Track pad which I just switched to and using now is noticeably better.

jev425

It should work... oh wait I have one that I connected mid sentence and am using it to type this now and the track pad to correct a typeo. However, if you had two before it's the same since you can only use one at a time :)

The new Keyboard and Track pad which I just switched to and using now is noticeably better.

Some people have had rattling issues on the new cover. Do you notice any rattling and or stuck keys, rattling touchpad?

OP
R

rborge

Thx for the replies. The fact that the cover wouldn't completely cover the screen doesn't both me. Needed to know that it would work...now I do. At this point, I'm most interested in the performance of the 2 vs 3 keyboard. It looked to me like the keys were the same and that it was the size and trackpad that were different. I've never liked the trackpad on the 2, seems moronic that it is covered in felt. The keys performed ok. I also feel that the ridgidity of the 2 was suboptimal and that if the 3 were the same, it would flex when angled up off the table. Any insight into these issues is hugely appreciated. Thx

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thx for the replies. The fact that the cover wouldn't completely cover the screen doesn't both me. Needed to know that it would work...now I do. At this point, I'm most interested in the performance of the 2 vs 3 keyboard. It looked to me like the keys were the same and that it was the size and trackpad that were different. I've never liked the trackpad on the 2, seems moronic that it is covered in felt. The keys performed ok. I also feel that the ridgidity of the 2 was suboptimal and that if the 3 were the same, it would flex when angled up off the table. Any insight into these issues is hugely appreciated. Thx
S3 keyboard definitely more rigid and the trackpad is smooth/slick. The best keyboard and trackpad by MS yet.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In your opinion, is it $120 better?
I think you think its not so it wont really mater what I think. I would suggest using one at Best Buy or wherever to make that decision, Or try one and return it if you don't like it, or forgo it completely as you planned and don't worry about it.

OP
R

rborge

If I came across that way, it was unintentional (limitation of 1 sentence replies). I actually don't mind buying the new keyboard if the improvements are substantial. I'm actually hoping that they are since, as mentioned above, I never liked the trackpad on the S2. So, in your opinion, would you spend the money for the S3 keyboard if you had a S2 keyboard laying around? Your opinion and observations are valued on my end. Thx

mogulman

I just got the Surface 3 Type Cover today and the Surface Pen. I noticed it didn't come with a Pen loop. Anyone know if that's mine, or did they decide to do away with it, and expect you to use the pen attached to the type cover?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I just got the Surface 3 Type Cover today and the Surface Pen. I noticed it didn't come with a Pen loop. Anyone know if that's mine, or did they decide to do away with it, and expect you to use the pen attached to the type cover?
Pen loops aren't included AFAK, they can be purchased though....