What's new

keyboard cover won't type password

absresin

Got keyboard cover and i7 on Monday. Keyboard won't type when my Microsoft password is requested upon sign in. Have to disconnect it and use screen keyboard. After that and then re attach keyboard cover it works fine. Strange. Is this the norm ie cover inactive until after sign in?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does it work after you log in? If so with the keyboard attached run Windows Update and see if it has received all of the updates. If it doesn't, shut it down, then holding the volume rocker up and power the device on, this will boot you into the UEFI screen, exit making no changes and allow it to reboot and see if it works.

nipponham

No, this is not normal behavior, but if you search around this board and the internet you will find many entries of complaints about SP3 not recognizing the keyboard, including from myself. Microsoft CSR made me do a refresh, and although this has improved things, I’m still experiencing the keyboard not working almost once a day. It would be nice if it made me detach/attach the keyboard only once to make it work again, but it’s very temperamental and sometimes takes minutes of trying. It’s makes for a stressful user experience, not to mention embarrassing making all this click clack sound while fiddling with your device with people around you working.

OP
A

absresin

No, this is not normal behavior, but if you search around this board and the internet you will find many entries of complaints about SP3 not recognizing the keyboard, including from myself. Microsoft CSR made me do a refresh, and although this has improved things, I’m still experiencing the keyboard not working almost once a day. It would be nice if it made me detach/attach the keyboard only once to make it work again, but it’s very temperamental and sometimes takes minutes of trying. It’s makes for a stressful user experience, not to mention embarrassing making all this click clack sound while fiddling with your device with people around you working.
Thanks, good to know about keyboard. I'll just sign in with built in keyboard then connect my cover. Thanks again.

OP
A

absresin

Yes it works fine after sign in. Your suggestion way above my skill level, thanks for taking time to answer. Will just use built in keyboard to sign in. Thanks again

nipponham

Haha, I'm not suggesting you try a refresh. That was CSR's solution to my problem but it didn't help much. Detaching and reattaching your keyboard takes no skill at all:D

You might want to try solution #3 in this support page, but it didn't do anything for me.