What's new

Solved Keyboard No Longer Detected

Philtastic

As of this morning, my Type keyboard no longer seems to work... as in, I snap it on and it's seemingly not detected at all. I've tried multiple restarts and shutdowns without any change. Touch and pen still work which is how I'm making this post. I don't know if this is from yesterday's updates or a hardware failure. OneNote, which was working fine yesterday, also has a problem when launched where the touch keyboard pops up but quickly disappears and renders 2/3 of the screen vertically white and unusable until I shrink the window then maximize it.

Anyone else have a keyboard mysteriously stop working? Any ideas if that OneNote issue is related?

verizonil

I have a similar issue. My keyboard from SP2 is not working in my SP4. It is only flashing when it clicks in and not being recognized. I have reset the hole computer with no luck.

OP
P

Philtastic

At the Microsoft Store and another keyboard didn't work so they said that I should back up my documents and refresh it. As I was waiting for my files to transfer to a USB stick and wanted to post an update here, my keyboard started working magically. So weird.

leeshor

That happens to me when a customer calls me for support and something they have been trying to fix for 3 hours suddenly works. As soon as I pick up the phone ;)

OP
P

Philtastic

The OneNote issue appears to be gone as well, so, it's possible that they were related but both magically disappeared.

This has been a really strange experience.

Edit: What was strange was that it seemed to coincide with me connecting to the Microsoft Store's wifi to make the post.

Edit2: The behaviour of OneNote has also seemed to change. Before this issue, when I would click the back of the pen once, OneNote would load and automatically start a new page which I found annoying since I didn't get to pick the folder that the note would be in. Now, after my device fixed itself, it opens OneNote but goes to the note that I was last on.

Last edited:

verizonil

Which touch cover are you using? Is it the 2,3, or 4? I am trying to find out if mine is the same glitch as yours or if its just that the 2 is not compatible with the 4.

OP
P

Philtastic

Tested removing the Type Cover 4 and then the OneNote problem came back. Reattached the cover and it doesn't work again. Bugger.

OP
P

Philtastic

Update: I refreshed the whole system while at the Microsoft Store and had them try other keyboards on it which didn't work while my own keyboard worked on a different Surface so our conclusion was that the keyboard port was dying, thus I am now doing an exchange for a new one.

Diego NL

Sorry for the mistakes, but I'm using the Google Translate to write this post.

When the SP do not detect the Type Cover, which is something that can happen from time to time with Windows 10, you must make a hardware reset.

Hardware reset:
SP off
Power cable not connected
Type Cover connected
Press for 20 seconds the Volume + button with the power button. Keep both pressed although the logo "Surface" or flickering screen appears
Then release both buttons.
Turn the SP and keyboard should work.

It happened twice to me and I fix it with this method.

This method also works when the battery charge only up to 40%

I hope you serve this solution

dnig

Excellent Diego. Your solution worked for me. My keyboard appeared to have died. Didn't work or light up at all regardless of shutting down and powering back on. Your 20 sec solution brought it back to life!

Cheers

1n0nlyJoe

I just made a topic a day or two. I had the same issue. My keyboard and mouse worked but the trackpad wouldn't click. Turns out there was an issue with the update and it didn't install. I used the built-in fix-it and within a couple restarts fixed it all.

Microsoft...