What's new

Keyboard not working

mwhite45

Purchased a new SP4 and a new Type Cover for it. After receiving it I got it all hooked up and the keyboard would not work. Dealt with surface support and went through all the troubleshooting solutions. In the end they sent me a new Type Cover which I just received 20 min ago. Hooked it up and still nothing.. Am doing something wrong? I was under the impression that you just let the magnets connect and it is suppose to work..

Thanks in advance..

Mike

Philtastic

Probably a hardware problem. My keyboard died after a week which prevented the keyboard from working. Get an exchange ideally at a Microsoft Store to make sure that you get a new unit rather than a refurb.

Edit: Keyboard port on the Surface died after a week.

Last edited:
OP
M

mwhite45

Thanks for the response... Are you talking about the Surface or the Keyboard cover..? They already sent me a new keyboard and I am having the same issue..

ScottyS

I don't know if I have the same problem but my type cover stopped working after an update in December, worked for a few days after the System Firmware Update - ‎1/‎19/‎2016 and then after the next update stopped working again.
A friend's type cover doesn't work on my SP3 and my type cover works on his S3 so I know it is not the type cover but the firmware.

OP
M

mwhite45

I have already started a hard reset to factory settings.. hoping that will work.. Hated losing all the time I had installing programs.. fingers crossed

ScottyS

I have already started a hard reset to factory settings.. hoping that will work.. Hated losing all the time I had installing programs.. fingers crossed
I've felt I needed to do that too (but at home use it with a USB keyboard and mouse and when out am using it as a tablet) so I too anxiously wait to see how it works out for you.

OP
M

mwhite45

I've felt I needed to do that too (but at home use it with a USB keyboard and mouse and when out am using it as a tablet) so I too anxiously wait to see how it works out for you.

Well unfortunately the reset didn't work, I believe that Philtastic is correct and that the keyboard port is just bad...

teebz

Tried this from a youtube post and it worked for me! I have a Surface 3 (not Pro)
When you come to your Surface Pro 3 and the keyboard and trackpad do not work at all here is a quick fix.
1.Shutdown the Surface
2.Hold down the Volume UP and Power Button at the same time for 10 seconds
3.Power on the Surface (if it goes into the BIOS screen tap on Exit setup)
4.The Surface will boot up and hopefully the keyboard will now work.

ScottyS

Tried this from a youtube post and it worked for me! I have a Surface 3 (not Pro)
When you come to your Surface Pro 3 and the keyboard and trackpad do not work at all here is a quick fix.
1.Shutdown the Surface
2.Hold down the Volume UP and Power Button at the same time for 10 seconds
3.Power on the Surface (if it goes into the BIOS screen tap on Exit setup)
4.The Surface will boot up and hopefully the keyboard will now work.
That didn't work for me. If you notice, when the guy in the video boots to the UEFI (what he calls BIOS) he uses the keyboard to arrow down to Exit and hits Enter. Well in my case the keyboard wouldn't work there either. That's one reason why I believe my problem was with the firmware and not Windows, and why re-installing the OS didn't help.

funky81

That didn't work for me. If you notice, when the guy in the video boots to the UEFI (what he calls BIOS) he uses the keyboard to arrow down to Exit and hits Enter. Well in my case the keyboard wouldn't work there either. That's one reason why I believe my problem was with the firmware and not Windows, and why re-installing the OS didn't help.

I also got these problems about 2-3 months ago (check my thread).
As end result, I contact Microsoft Surface Support Team and Thanks God, got the new replacement.
And it work well now.

ScottyS

Yeah, the keyboard needs some driver loaded during UEFI so it can be used on BIOS settings. If the firmware screws that up I don't think anything can in-do a firmware change.