What's new

kickstand free play

Macker

Hi. Just wondering if anyone else might have a loose kickstand. I get about half inch of movement anywhere along the kickstand travel, especially the left one. just wondering if this is normal or if I'm experiencing premature ware. Thanks

ctitanic

It's not normal but it's a common report. I have not seen any one reporting a fix other than exchanging the device.

Aeron15

my kickstand also wobbles for about 1/3 of an inch. I only had it for 3 weeks though. I didn't even notice it was wobbling until today. I will go out tomorrow and check if the SP displays on the stores also wobbles this way

RémiM

Mine is loose too. When open under 20°-25° the kickstand closes by itself. No resistance. It is not a major issue, but I went to bestbuy and showed them. Their SP3 on displays didnt have the same problem. The four of them had enough resistance under 20-25°.

The guy ordered an exchange model from Microsoft.

You should do the same.

Nicola

Mine is loose too. When open under 20°-25° the kickstand closes by itself. No resistance. It is not a major issue, but I went to bestbuy and showed them. Their SP3 on displays didnt have the same problem. The four of them had enough resistance under 20-25°.

The guy ordered an exchange model from Microsoft.

You should do the same.
The stand is supposed to act like that...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup. I have this too. It males it feel and sound so cheap and tacky. I spoke to an ms support rep the day I got it and was just given a story of "oh, the one I have had for a month doesn't do this, it will most likely just stiffen out over time" not a chance. It seems it is return or nothing. Ive kept mone for the time being as returning it would be of a great inconvenience to me.

@Remim: what you have is a different issue to this one. This is about the kickstand being perfectly firm, lots of friction, but at any position you set it, there is a degree of movement. You can flick the kickstand up and down and it rattles like a cheap toy, but once you set it down it is firm.

Liam2349

Yup. I have this too. It males it feel and sound so cheap and tacky. I spoke to an ms support rep the day I got it and was just given a story of "oh, the one I have had for a month doesn't do this, it will most likely just stiffen out over time" not a chance. It seems it is return or nothing. Ive kept mone for the time being as returning it would be of a great inconvenience to me.

@Remim: what you have is a different issue to this one. This is about the kickstand being perfectly firm, lots of friction, but at any position you set it, there is a degree of movement. You can flick the kickstand up and down and it rattles like a cheap toy, but once you set it down it is firm.

It is going to have some degree of flex - it's a very thin piece of magnesium. If it's not closing by itself, and holds its position, I would say it's working as intended.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is going to have some degree of flex - it's a very thin piece of magnesium. If it's not closing by itself, and holds its position, I would say it's working as intended.

By your statement you are clearly speaking on something you have not experienced. This is not flex. This is complete free play. It is not the magnesium, it is the hinge. If you have experienced this issue, you will know that it is not as it was intended. I was told just that by Microsoft themselves if you still don't accept this.

A question. Does yours sound like a musical rattle if you shake the device while the kickstand is open? The one I tried at the store certainly didn't do this in any shape or form. It was exactly as the kickstand was designed, it held its position. Not rattled about like a fisher price toy. I am watching top gear on my TV right now, if I shake my sp3, I can no longer discern the words being spoken. That is how loose it is. Its not simple flex as would indeed be expected, it is the hinge, they are loose.

kundas1

try taking a video of this, as I'm not disputing what your saying is not true, but what I find hard to believe is that it's so loud that it drowns out the TV!! your stand is obviously defective and I suggest replacing it..

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
try taking a video of this, as I'm not disputing what your saying is not true, but what I find hard to believe is that it's so loud that it drowns out the TV!! your stand is obviously defective and I suggest replacing it..

I have a video on YouTube somewhere or other simply displaying the free play, not the audibility of it. But Microsoft rep saw the video and said his one certainly didn't act like this, but maybe it will work itself in over time. Not the case. I know its obviously defective, as is the metal coated tape that has peeled away from the joint of the kickstand causing it to bow in the middle and stick out form the back of the device. I cannot upload a new video, as am stuck on a barely functional community hotspot.

And for the record, I also hard to find it believe, hence not accepting that this is simply functioning as intended. This is a very expensive premium device, not some Chinese 100 dollar tablet.