What's new

Kickstand problem or it is normal? PLEASE HELP me!

Maverick911

Hi everyone guys,
if I open the kickstand pulling only one side, it happens that when I put the Surface standing, I notice a certain instability of the same because the kickstand is opened in slightly asymmetric way.

Instead, if I open the kickstand by traction from the center, it opens in a uniform and I do not have the problem of instability.
Even if I open it as described in the following video, I can keep it standing stably.

do you think it's normal? I'm afraid to replace my Surface because they could give me a refurbished one and not a new one! Also the refurbished one (or eventually the new one) may present other problems........

One last thing: it is normal that the kickstand has a bit of body roll (about 1 cm)?

Thank you all in advance for your answers .... if you want to do a little video. My English is not very good ...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like your kickstand might be a bit loose. However you'll have to decide if you want to live with it as is or, like you say, risk the unknown on an exchange/replacement. 1 cm seems pretty significant though. If you lay the Surface on it's face and open the hinge all the way can you see what the problem is? There are two screws on each side that fasten the hinge to the kickstand, them there's a retractable arm that slides into the part fastened to the Surface. can you tell which part is loose?

Telstar1948

Obviously, a certain "loosening" of the kickstand will occur over time. As long as it holds the position that's been set, it should be OK. I just had to exchange my SP3 for a new one for another reason (it was about 8 months old, used daily) and the kickstand on it had some play. It was just getting to the point where if you opened it to about 85% or 90% of max it would slowly slide open to the max after a while, if it was setting on a hard surface. If your SP3 hinge has gone that far, I would ask for an exchange. I received a new SP3 in my exchange.

CrippsCorner

How long do you have left on the warranty? Might be worth waiting until you're near the end of to make your decision, that way you can see if it gets any worse or whether you can live with it.

OP
M

Maverick911

Hi guys and thank you for the answers.
I talked with Microsoft support and they told me that a little "asimmetric" opening and "gap" between the two sides is normal and isn't a sympthom of a manufacturing fault. Actually the problem is really negligible, but, if If I wanted, them safely would replace the Surface.

To be honest I prefer to keep this one and avoid to have another "refurbished" one.

I also have many months of warranty remaining and I could see how the kickstand will evolve through the time...

Thank you again for your attention!!! ;-)

compnovo

I talked with Microsoft support and they told me that a little "asimmetric" opening and "gap" between the two sides is normal and isn't a sympthom of a manufacturing fault. Actually the problem is really negligible, but, if If I wanted, them safely would replace the Surface.

To be honest I prefer to keep this one and avoid to have another "refurbished" one.

I also have many months of warranty remaining and I could see how the kickstand will evolve through the time...

My SP3 has always had that same kickstand issue (I just assumed it was normal) so I open it on the left then adjust it a smidge on the right. At this point it's second nature and, like you said, better than exchanging for a refurbished model. Especially since it works flawlessly in every other way (no screen or heat issues, etc.).

If I open the stand from one side then I get that but what I do is slightly open it from the side then grab the bottom center of the kickstand and extend the angle and don't have problems. I mainly do this because always grabbing from one side and pulling it out had me a little concerned that it could become slightly warped over time doing it that way. I just purchased a UAG case so I no longer have to worry about it... not that it was a big issue to begin with.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

While i have had good luck with MS support, the kickstand is one area where it seems that no matter the fault they tell you it's not a fault and that hey, maybe it'll just work itself in and all that lot.