lagging as hell on Skype

Discussion in 'Surface 3 (Atom)' started by peterpark828, Aug 12, 2015.

1. peterpark828

peterpark828 New Member

Hi guys

I just bought a surface 3, only to realize that it doesn't really run Skype well at all. Whenever I'm on a video chat on Skype, the device gets super hot and starts to lag a lot. I really can't do anything else while I'm on skype. Is this normal for an average surface 3? This really disappoints me. I know surface 3 should come with some compromises but it is too crappy if it can't handle a single skype session well.

2. ynohtna

ynohtna Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I don't skype all that much but I did try it a couple weeks ago for my kids to talk to my parents and it all seemed in order... on windows 10.

3. Intranetsites

Intranetsites Member

My Device:
    Other
    as a Skype power user (110K) calls so far, I did buy the surface 3 with using skype as the Primary application.
    So far I'm struggling with my first 100 calls in the last 2 weeks;
    calls getting dropped in a few mins,
    losing the Bluetooth headset connection periodically,
    very hard to navigate on the small screen.. purchased the dragon voice recognition software to try and voice navigate to call a contact.. jury is out on this one.

im upgrading to the lte surface 3 to give it a real try
    hardware; surface 3 128 megs

4. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Among other things, Skype on Windows (Surface, Phones etc.) is terrible. It is a data hog, it is slow and not very reliable. And with Skype being an in house product of MS, I wonder why this is so. My acquaintances who use Android and Apple devices report that Skype is a much better experience on those platforms. Again, I don't know why this is the case. I understand that sometime later this year or early next year there will an update of Skype and that will dramatically improve matters/. Whether that is true or not only time will tell.

5. Argus Tuft

Argus Tuft Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    Apparently, Skype performance is dependent on internet speed. I rang my new ISP to complain about the speed advertised v. the speed I was actually getting, and the ISP let it slip then. I was eventually told it was my hardware, but internet speed has a lot to do with it. Also, the amount of users online can be a reason.

6. mcmillco

mcmillco New Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    I've had no trouble using Skype on the Surface 3 128gb LTE. Even worked smoothly on cellular.