What's new

Leather Folio cover - found a nice one

ILGal

My new SP3 is my 4th tablet (iPad Gen 1, then Galaxy Tab, then Galaxy Note 10.1). For each previous tablet, I've purchased a leather, or leather-like, folio cover. Had a hard time finding one for the SP3. Bought one at Best Buy yesterday and thought folks might like some feedback on it.

It's nice quality leather. The Surface snaps into four rubberized corner pieces that leave all vents and controls exposed. Because of the design, the bottom edge is open and you can still snap the Type Cover into the upright position for typing (something not available on many folios offered on Amazon). Like other folios, it does cover the kickstand, but the angle allowed for typing is quite reasonable.

I bought the dark purple, which looks very nice with my purple type cover. You can close the folio with the type cover on.

There are two options for stylus storage; a leather loop at the top of the case (when in landscape orientation) and an elastic loop on the back of the folio.

At my local Best Buy, the folios were available in black, dark purple and navy blue, $49.99 US.

I think, however, that as nice as it is, it's going back. It adds a fair amount of weight and the keyboard doesn't fold back nicely when the type cover is on. If I were going to use the Surface mostly as a tablet, I would keep it because it's thick, attractive and offers good protection. However, in my limited use (about a week of ownership) I find I am switching between the keyboard and pen frequently and I know that tearing off the keyboard, or leaving it open, would get on my nerves rather quickly. I'd upload a link to a photo but the forum links aren't cooperating...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/platinum-kope-series-leather-case-for-microsoft-surface-pro-3-black/7539004.p?id=1219277911648&skuId=7539004&st=platinum%20surface%20pro%203%20case&cp=1&lp=1

mitchellvii

Have never really understood the need for a folio cover for the SP3. A pouch, yes, cover, no. Phones and small tablets need covers/cases because they are small, you tend to hold them with one hand and are easily fumbled and dropped. The SP3 is a big two handed beast - chances of accidental drops (unless you are a complete klutz) are far less.

And as you said, a folio cover eliminates on of the greatest benefits of the SP3 as a tablet, lightness.

Buy a pouch with a pocket for your charger and mouse and just don't drop the damned thing when using it in tablet mode. :)

OP
I

ILGal

Have never really understood the need for a folio cover for the SP3. A pouch, yes, cover, no. Phones and small tablets need covers/cases because they are small, you tend to hold them with one hand and are easily fumbled and dropped. The SP3 is a big two handed beast - chances of accidental drops (unless you are a complete klutz) are far less.

And as you said, a folio cover eliminates on of the greatest benefits of the SP3 as a tablet, lightness.

Buy a pouch with a pocket for your charger and mouse and just don't drop the damned thing when using it in tablet mode. :)

What I've been doing in tablet mode is attaching the keyboard backwards, leaving the suede side out. Makes the tablet part far more "grippy". I don't like the feeling of holding the keys when the cover is folded back, so flipping the keyboard solves that problem, too.

mitchellvii

What I've been doing in tablet mode is attaching the keyboard backwards, leaving the suede side out. Makes the tablet part far more "grippy". I don't like the feeling of holding the keys when the cover is folded back, so flipping the keyboard solves that problem, too.

Doing it this way is probably better for the life of the keyboard as well.

Liam2349

I always do that. Plus, you will never damage the keys if you put it on a salty table or something. You don't want to damage the keys, then close the cover and have the keys scratch the screen, so I always put the keys to the Surface and the suede on the outside.

mitchellvii

When buying a pouch remember you need somewhere to put your power brick (and a mouse). Get one with an extra zippered pocket on the front.

OP
I

ILGal

When buying a pouch remember you need somewhere to put your power brick (and a mouse). Get one with an extra zippered pocket on the front.
I actually have TWO sleeves. One is a sleeve I picked up on Amazon after reading all the "sleeves" threads here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNTVVAI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This one to carry between classes at work (I teach)

and a vinyl (waterproof!), very thickly padded, groovy-looking white, green & turquoise paisley 13" laptop sleeve with an outer pocket that I got on clearance from Best Buy for $15. I drop the Surface in the other sleeve inside of this one when moving it from work to the car and back. Lots of room for the charger and a flash drive in the outer pouch. It will also house it when I travel, in my laptop backpack. I just thought I'd also want a folio cover...habit from previous tablets, I guess.

iDatus

Normally I would agree but I personally would get a little pouch for the so called brick/plug/mouse.
This is to keep pressure off thin screen. I have seen people crack the screen around mic hole.

Obviously if you got a big padded bag you could maybe get away with it but here UK for example we use a 3 pin plug. I am looking at the folding pin plug but I will still keep all external parts bar kb cover separate.

FlySwatter

It's a nice folio, BUT... I have to agree that any folio seems redundant with the SP3 with seems to negate the need for any such solution. Folios are tablet-only solutions IMO. The only advantage I see is protection from scratches, but I went the skin route for that purpose which did not add to the size. My opinion is far less important than your satisfaction of course, and I'm glad you like it. It appears to be of good quality.

FlySwatter

Ooh! Skins! Something else to web browse for... :)
LOL. Here's a good thread to look at. Stickerboy is not the only skin solution (there's at least Decal Girl as well), but Stickerboy is the only one I know of the includes full coverage for all sides of the SP3 and also the keyboard, with multiple options.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/woo-hoo-stickerboy-now-has-skins-for-the-surface-pro-3.9469/

Here's a shot of mine, but in low light. Better photos here: http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...-for-the-surface-pro-3.9469/page-3#post-80201
PenAdded.JPG

Last edited: