What's new

Lets hear from the girls.

olimjj

I am glad that their are females on this forum in greater abundance than I would have imagined. They embellish this Forum and make it very pleasingly complete. :)

LeMelly

Made an account to answer this. I am a female who works for a small IT company in MN. The surface has been a huge help as far as taking notes when I go to clients or if I study for a cert test. I am a huge tech geek, and wanted a surface since the SP1. Finally have a job that allowed me to pick up a pro 3, and couldn't be happier. I don't game on it, I have a desktop I built to do that :)

Sassi

I'm female and I love my computer :) I've just switched from a 2011 MacBook air to an SP3 and am loving it. I was getting fed up with apple and switched my iPhone to Android and my iPad to a Nexus, and my husband had the original SP which I had a go with and really liked, but had only recently bought the MacBook at the time. Now the SP3 is out I decided to upgrade :) My husband would have too but he's buying a Cintiq companion as he's an artist and likes Wacom, it's more suited to him than the SP3 though having played on mine he loves it :)

I also tend to frequent forums for devices I own to get the most out of them. Though this forum has taught me that I have a yellow band down the left side of my screen which I didn't see there before o_O

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can relate. I can easily spend hundreds for a shiny new tech toy like the SP3, but I have a hard time bringing myself to spend hundreds on clothes, handbags, shoes, even household items like new furniture and appliances. $1200 for SP3, keyboard and cover seems like less money than say, $1200 for a new sofa.
Completely agree...! I spend lots on camera gear too.

I don't get why some girls spend three figure sums on Louboutins.... they just look like instruments of torture to me.

LeMelly

Completely agree...! I spend lots on camera gear too.

I don't get why some girls spend three figure sums on Louboutins.... they just look like instruments of torture to me.
I spent $2000 building and watercooling my most recent desktop build. I am currently wearing shoes from High school... I graduated 5 years ago :D (oh god I'm old D:)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oooh you young'un. .... more like 20 years ago for me :-(... no I don't still have the same shoes ha ha. When I went to uni the internet was a novelty and it was the first time I ever used a web-browser Netscape Navigator as it was then. ahhh those days.

LeMelly

I remember trying to play Diablo II on dial up. Good times, and many choice words were had. I don't think my character ever made it very far, I always disconnected :(

snowcherries

interesting thread!

i am female and quite the girly girl in many ways. i like things to look pretty and absolutely adore pink. however i consider myself to be fairly geeky; technology and audio fascinate me and i'm a sucker for a gadget. i've even just started an I.T course, and did some volunteer work briefly in a pc repair store. i feel much more at home on the PC - hiding away looking at software, codes, web design etc than i ever will at anything else. in fact i will go out of my way to be antisocial face to face, and will happily chat on a tech forum instead.

someone here mentioned the WAF factor with apple and i agree with that, i think the macbook air is one of the best laptops on the market for looks, though i have seen some pretty sexy laptops by other manufacturers. i went through a huge stage of buying everything in white - such as my old laptop, my PC tower and my mp3 player as i found white to be prettier than black. even with the SP3 i would prefer a 'pretty' keyboard in pink. however even though i want my gadgets to be attractive and love them in white, i have never owned anything apple and not about to start. i like windows and android, also toying with the idea of a chromebook some day. i'm happy that more manufacturers seem to be thinking about design, colour and style now - although am not happy to sacrifice specs for a better looking gadget. i want both!

I can relate. I can easily spend hundreds for a shiny new tech toy like the SP3, but I have a hard time bringing myself to spend hundreds on clothes, handbags, shoes, even household items like new furniture and appliances. $1200 for SP3, keyboard and cover seems like less money than say, $1200 for a new sofa.

i am similar even though i actually do love fashion and home design - however i am selective in what i buy and always look for bargains on items i know i will get longevity out of. i will haggle on electronics as i hate paying full amount for anything, but spending over $1000 on the SP3 was easier than spending it on other stuff. likewise i barely batted an eye spending a few grand or so on a 55" TV and home theatre components but agonised on spending money on a lounge to watch the TV.
:)

jackpine

I may be an odd case b/c I was raised by my dad who was a software engineer (and now comes to me for tech help)... I'm pretty girly, but I also can't stand bad tech. I'm not sure what you're asking haha, but for me I do like my tech to look sleek, and the SP3 certainly fits that bill.

xene97

Another female who just registered on the forum to reply.

Like Snowcherries I am a geek (IT Consultant) but also love fashion and design. If I had an extra $500 lying around and could choose between buying another pair of overpriced shoes or a new computer I confess that I would be torn.

I, too, am an avowed hater of all things Apple. I can happily say that I've never purchased an Apple product with my own money (but have inherited some old equipment from clients that I use in order to support them). I love my Android phone and root as soon as an exploit is found. I would love to try Windows Phone but won't until they fix the limitations on attaching files other than photos in e-mails.