What's new

LG Ultrawide 3840x1440 and SP3?

OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

For the record, daisy-chaining another 1080p display (MDP to HDMI) doesn't work. But I honestly don't know what I would do with all that real estate on top of this fabulous ultrawide.

OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

Well, it was fun while it lasted. The last W10 cumulative update was installed and now my 34UM95-P will not work under any circumstances. I've checked/changed every possible setting I could find and it's just not happening. The monitor gives me an "out of range" error.

Update: Using HDMI-MDP cable works just fine, but DP-MDP still gives out of range error.

Last edited:
OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

Update: With the latest graphics driver dated 1/19/2016, not only does the ultrawide work again, it also wakes up from sleep like it's supposed to! Previously, when I'd return and wiggle the mouse, nothing would happen and then about 10-15 seconds later it would reboot itself. Now it functions as it is supposed to. FINALLY!

Update: With the latest graphics driver dated 1/19/2016, not only does the ultrawide work again, it also wakes up from sleep like it's supposed to! Previously, when I'd return and wiggle the mouse, nothing would happen and then about 10-15 seconds later it would reboot itself. Now it functions as it is supposed to. FINALLY!

Congrats, I bought a LG 34UM94-P on one of NewEgg's early morning specials, but am running Picture by Picture (PBP) with two machines inputting and the scaling is horrific for the 3440z1440 WQHD. RMA'ing it back to NewEgg and bumping to a Dell U3415-W so I can run two 1920x1080 FHDs side-by-side.

Don't suppose you've ever done Picture-by-Picture (PBP) on that bad boy with multiple inputs? If so, how was your scaling?

Longer answer shorter still, couldn't do this on the LG ultra-wide because of how it does ratio and scaling in the Picture-by-Picture. However, on the Dell U3415-W I now have a Lenovo ThinkPad L440 running 1720x1440 over HDMI on Windows 7 and a second PBP running 1920x1080 over the Miracast WiDi adapter from Win10 Pro on my SP4. The WiDi adapter is plugged into the MHL port on the Dell monitor.

I have a 10' miniDP > HDMI cable on its way and will swap when it arrives; pretty sure at that time I'll be able to size the SP4's PBP to 1720x1440, but right now the scaling/skew on the 1920x1080 isn't bad. Also still running the miniDP>DP off the Surface Pro's port replicator so when I want to run full screen 3440x1440 I can.

All in all, pretty satisfied, happy.