What's new

Library location synced - network path not found

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just found I could not save a picture on my Surface 2. Network path not found error.
Seems the Library is now pointing to my Surface 3
\\surface3computername\Users\username\pictures.

Don't know how it got that way but it's Freakin Awesome!!!

To err is human. To really screw things up, use a computer that syncs settings. :rolleyes:

I suspect this all started with Windows 10... first thing I noticed was my desktop background synced from my SP3 on W10 to other devices... I shut off all syncing on that computer.

Clustering fully enabled :eek: IYKWIM

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So... turned off syncing... restored libraries to default locations ... All files are gone.

Thank-you!

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fortunately for me, I had FileHistory enabled and most everything was backed up.

Aside from upgrading my Surface Pro 3 to W10 I also recently had to Refresh my Surface 3 (W8.1).
The suspicion is, somehow in the process of doing one or both of those operations the Libraries got set to a network location \\devicename\users\username\... it's certainly NOT a setting I made or chose.

Caution to all using the same Microsoft account on multiple devices. Not only are you vulnerable to add-hoc redirection of libraries but even worse the potential loss of All Data on your devices. The following folders were wiped clean
Desktop
Downloads
Documents
Pictures
Videos
Music

I didn't have Downloads backed up... fortunately due the nature it wasn't catastrophic this time...