What's new

Linking files on SD card to libraries

kristalsoldier

Hi all...

Last evening I discovered that the link that I had established between my music folder (but also pics, video and documents folders) on my SD to the respective folders in the Library was broken. Since it worked till the day before the Xbox music app got updated, I am assuming something happened during that update to break that link. Anyways, to cut a long story short, I reset my Surface (which was an interesting, if time consuming experience) completely to what it was out of the box. Now I need to re-establish those links again. The guide that I followed the last time was this one: http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/surface-tip-microsd-content-libraries-metro-apps-144658

Before I go ahead and set this up, I wanted to know if this still works and/ or if there is any other better (meaning more robust as in future updates should not break the links again) way to do this. Oh...one more thing - how does WinRT really use SD cards? Thanks.

Edit: There is a slightly more complicated way - though it does look interesting. See here: http://mattblogsit.com/windows/configure-surface-to-use-microsd-as-primary-storage Have any of you tried this method?

Last edited:

ArnoldC

I still use mounted volumes. Been using it since XP days.

The guide to do that can be found in this forum.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Last edited:

machistmo

I use them but think that MS should offer an OS level support / fix for this issue. The Nokia Phone 822 I bought for my sister has no trouble Identifying and configuring the storage of media on the MicroSDXC card I installed on that phone. Surely to god a $1000 PC running full blown windows 8 pro should be able to do the same?

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I use them but think that MS should offer an OS level support / fix for this issue. The Nokia Phone 822 I bought for my sister has no trouble Identifying and configuring the storage of media on the MicroSDXC card I installed on that phone. Surely to god a $1000 PC running full blown windows 8 pro should be able to do the same?

I agree! I think I'll go with the method Thurrot has described. Btw, the card comes as exFat right? And must be configured to NTFS correct? I can do this on the RT, am I correct or do I have to pull it out and reformat it on my main machine and then put it back?

ArnoldC

I use them but think that MS should offer an OS level support / fix for this issue. <snip>

What issue?

Anyway, for the OP, in order for you to use mounted volumes, the removable disk (it doesn't matter if hard disk or SSD) must be formatted in NTFS. You can format it in your Surface RT, and then use MOUNTVOL or if you're not up to command line stuff, use Disk Management to mount it.

ZachBui

still works, after some updates, i noticed my link to store windows store apps on my Sd card was reset. Just a simple registry change back and I was back in business.

ArnoldC

This is has been discussed extensively in the mother thread, but to repeat it, it is NOT supported to install Store Apps into the SD card, hence the registry hacks. Windows Phone 8 does not support this, in Android it breaks stuff.

Libraries are another story, which again has been discussed extensively in the mother thread.