3. Light

• Type cover still not very comfy on lap
  • One USB port
  • This site in portrait mode (IE Metro)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like:
1. With only this one device in my computer bag I have room for more other stuff on trips! 15 days, one device, did it all.

Dislike:
1. Quirkiness and that REFRESH is the go to solution. In the immortal words of John McEnroe
"You CANNOT be SERIOUS"!

ctitanic

1.)Laptop and a tablet
2.)ease of carrying around and detachable keyboard
3.)Screen omg is this thing pretty
4.)it's almost a computer

Dislikes:
1.)Battery life, what a joke... dim to 40%, only use metro apps and turn off this and that or only get 2-4 hours of battery life...
2.)WiFi, This thing is riddled with bugs but this is the biggest joke
3.)4 returns to get one that worked, looking at 5 if I can't get WiFi to stay on longer than 3 minutes.

I absolutely love my SP3 after 4 defective one I even upgrade to the I7 model but in truth this should have never been released as is. I feel like I payed a premium price to alpha, no not even beta, test a product for Microsoft. The only reason for me sticking with this product is, it does what I wanted my android tablet to do. I don't have to switch between 5 programs to edit one stupid pdf, word document, or deal with stupid mobile websites. But at least android, Samsung, tablets did what they said they could do. Again I love my SP3 and going to try and stick with it but its a huge joke. The real commercials would be they guy comparing his SP3 to a apple air or whatever and having to say "oh wait sorry mine went in to sleep mode, I have to reboot a few times to get WiFi back"
Capture.JPG

Maximus3D

I like..
- Design, built & portability
- Speed & display
- It's a nail in the eye for Apple :)

I dislike..
- Nvidia gpu is missing in action
- Keyboard should be included, not optional since it's marketed as a laptop replacement
- Few accessories, i would like to see more of them, more creative things you can attatch where the keyboard sits.

As a sidenote i have to mention the price, yes it's high but i do think it's a premium device and we pay a fair price considering what we get.

/ Magnus

fzammetti

Ok, here goes... I may have a slightly different list because my SP3 is 98% a *DESKTOP* for me... replaced a still pretty good desktop machine, my primary workstation, as well as a secondary (but not used too often) laptop...

1. Quite as death while still having ample power. Like I said, my desktop was my primary machine. I'm a developer so I spend a lot of time compiling, debugging, etc. I also do a fair bit of video editing for the family, and I'm a musician too, so I'm using my SP3 as a video workstation and DAW as well. And, I do play some FPS games now and again. All fairly demanding tasks. My office is now silent as the grave, but I virtually never find myself thinking the SP3 is any less powerful then the old PC, and usually it seems more so (I think I had performance issues twice, both due to throttling resulting from asking it to encode one too many video streams simultaneously, so not at all unreasonable). And, as a bonus, I'm using less electricity now :)

2. Form factor. My desk is now considerably less cluttered with the old PC out of the way, along with lots of little peripherals that were connected to it. With the SP3 and the dock I still have my three external monitors, plus the SP3 screen itself, but it all manages to take up a lot less space now.

3. I finally have the experience I always wanted: a single powerful machine that I can grab-and-go with! No trying to put stuff in the cloud so I can share it. No synchronizing things when I get home. No simplified software in one case versus another. It's all there, no compromises, all the time. Like I said, I'm not going mobile most of the time, but when I do there's nothing better then pulling it out of the dock, running about for a while, doing some work, then dropping it back in the dock when I get back.
Dislikes:
  1. Price, obviously. My entire setup here cost right around the $2000 mark all-told. That's a hefty pricetag. I've been building my own PC the past 20+ years and I rarely even broke the $750 mark doing that, even when I went "all-out". I can't even consider an SP3 for my kids, and even my wife doesn't use her SP2 heavily enough to justify an SP3, even the low-end model. Personally, I'd like to see all the pricepoints roughly halved. Not likely, maybe not even possible, but man, they'd sell SO many if they could!

2. Throttling and heat. While I haven't been burned much (hehe) by either, there's clearly room for improvement. I have the 256Gb i5 model and it's come up a handful of times. Also, though not an SP3-specific issue, I hate how you lose some control over power settings unless you install Hyper-V, but then with it there's other compromises. MS really needs to figure out how to give me full control of my power settings with or without Hyper-V involved. Only giving me a Balanced power plan out of the box is crap IMO.

3. I wish they'd change their marketing and stop focusing on replacing a laptop because these things can replace a DESKTOP just fine! I don't know for sure what the breakdown of people using desktops vs. laptops is these days but at least anecdotally it seems more are still using desktops for most things. MS should be pushing that angle because they have a compelling story to tell there too. Though, getting the throttling issues sorted out 100% might be a necessary step before changing focus like that... even with the "issue" (debatable whether it's really an issue per se) they can make a huge push in that area.
That's my take. My SP3 has worked out fantastically well for me. Oh, I still don't *like* Windows 8 of course... I've come to terms with it is how I'd put it, and while there are actually some things I do kinda like about it, there's just as many I don't... but I cope... but the SP3 itself, independent of Win8? Yes, expensive, and not *perfect* I'd say, but I don't regret the purchase one little bit.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Likes (I have MANY more than just these):

1. Power for such a small device
2. Inking
3. Screen is amazing

Dislikes.... this is hard, as I can honestly say I can't really think of anything I really dislike about the SP3... everything is really fine for my purposes. I can think of improvements though so here's 3:

1. Desktop software not optimised for touch/high PPI screen (not necessarily Microsoft's fault).
2. Desktop and Metro Onenote not syncing on same device without internet connection... - should be an option to specificy if you have both versions but I can see why it's like this as they are independent software??
3. If I had to find a hardware "improvement" it would be to add more USB ports, battery is fine for my purposes but of course could ALWAYS be better!!

Wiidesire

Likes (as said before):

1. Power for such a small device
2. Inking/Pen
3. Screen is amazing
and many more I can't list because of the top 3 restriction!

Dislikes:

1. Worst back camera! No auto-focus. Microsoft, seriously? You can't take a good picture of a document. Impossible. Unacceptable for a device in this price range targeted for buisness/creator/arts and others!
2. Pen Customization could be better
3. Material of the Type Cover is bad. It gets dirty too easy.