What's new

List of top 3 likes and dislikes about SP3

VickiFL

How are you connecting to the Printer? Wirelessly or USB? Is the SP3 in the Home Group if you're attempting to connect Wirelessly. Which driver did you attempt to install? Native (built into Windows) or the one from Epson?

We tried wirelesssly and via bluetooth. We tried everything except USB because I don't have one. I have spent way too much time on this BS. Not worth it.

Ooh ooh I know, maybe you should Refresh. :eek::rolleyes:

We did, and I lost all my installed programs. Just finished re-installing all of them. Not doing that crap again either.

kundas1

wait what?... you didn't try it with a USB? first off you have to install the drivers using the usb then once the SP3 has installed the drivers and knows what printer it is, you can then use it wirelessly! you cant just use it on wifi and expect it to know what printer it is and work...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We tried wirelesssly and via bluetooth. We tried everything except USB because I don't have one. I have spent way too much time on this BS. Not worth it.

We did, and I lost all my installed programs. Just finished re-installing all of them. Not doing that crap again either.

Your wireless network at home is configured as a Home Group? Does your printer show up in the Add Printer Wizard?

wait what?... you didn't try it with a USB? first off you have to install the drivers using the usb then once the SP3 has installed the drivers and knows what printer it is, you can then use it wirelessly! you cant just use it on wifi and expect it to know what printer it is and work...

Unless the printer is a GDI device it should be able to PnP over wireless....

VickiFL

You would think the Microsoft tech should have told me this during the course of a one hour phone call. Smh.....(not at you)

Your wireless network at home is configured as a Home Group? Does your printer show up in the Add Printer Wizard?

I forgot to mention that this printer works just fine with my husband and daughter's laptop's, via wireless.

No, it does not show up in "add printer," on my SP3.

In this case I would manually set an IP on the printer then see if you can ping it.

I'm not sure how to do that, honestly. However, I have spent way too much time on this, days and hours of phone calls with Epson and Microsoft. I just now have all my programs re-installed, and back the way it was.

kundas1

yes the reason it works is because your hubby would HAVE TO install the drivers first, then when that's done you can start to use the printer via wifi...

HarnessTech

Sweets
  • Beautiful screen
  • Form factor
  • Laptop/desktop replacement
  • Pen
  • Wow factor when meeting with clients
  • Triple screens
Mehs
  • Horrible, horrible support and exchange policies
  • Gets very warm and fan cranks up while in dock
  • Lack of good W8 apps
Comments
  • I haven't owned a desktop for many years. The SP3 replaced my laptop and I haven't looked back (other than the support issues -- long story). It is indeed a laptop replacement and is my daily driver.
  • Sorry, but I don't see it competing with tablets. It may have a similar form factor, but the apps are severely lacking. I do hold out hope, however that this will change over time. At first, I thought it would easily replace my Nexus 7. Now that I've had it for awhile though, I see that most of the Android apps I use are not available for Win 8 and the ones that do exist are horrible in comparison to the Android versions.
  • From a touch perspective, Win 8 is pretty great. But as soon as you start using a mouse, it gets painful to use. I haven't actually tried Win 10, but from the previews and comments in this forum, I have high hopes for it -- I think it will be a good compromise to satisfy most users.
  • OneNote is pretty great. I use it on my Note 3 as well, which makes it easy to keep my notes all in the same place.

kundas1

woops didn't see your second post Jeff, so your saying she doesn't need to install the drivers first to use it? cuzz I think that's what I did for my Epson printer after which I was able to use it over the wifi

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
woops didn't see your second post Jeff, so your saying she doesn't need to install the drivers first to use it? cuzz I think that's what I did for my Epson printer after which I was able to use it over the wifi
Key here is, if the printer works with the Windows 8.x Class Driver it should be able to be installed wirelessly, if it requires Epson's Software Suite to find and install the device then it is a GDI Device and it wouldn't work outside the software, and if it requires USB the first time it would make sense...

All of my printers are Business Grade and I've been able to install while attached to the Wireless Network. My Brother Color Laser is my workhorse that I bought when my wife went back to school, I've used this one since 2008, bought it for $299 (normally sold for $599).

VickiFL

You guys sound a lot smarter than the people I have been dealing with in tech support, for days, literally. Microsoft not being able to help me surprised me, but Epson was just unreal. They did not even know how to work on a Surface Pro 3, and she was constantly putting me on hold to ask her supervisor questions about how to work with it.

I may try this again at some later date, but not right now. I've had enough of it for the time being.

Thanks for trying to help me, though, everyone.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine was WiFi and I'm sure the Surface set it up without me having to do anything..... It just worked.... Never connected by USB.